Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New FLM Tripod for LF/ULF

Re: New FLM Tripod for LF/ULF

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post

Anyway, Ari, I have kind of a noob question: I'm so new to bowls that I've only eaten out of them; thanks to your video and description, I understand these things much better now, and I can see the value in having them.
    Somewhere on your info page, you talk about "compatibility with other manufacturers" ? What other brands are compatible? Which parts are interchangeable? Bowls or adapters? Both?
    If only there were a rule book for these types of tripods.
    Thanks
    Hi Johnny,
    As I said, I've been using a Gitzo bowl adapter with a Manfrotto 75mm leveling bowl on the Berlin; it's worked great, and the heaviest 8x10 cameras were handled with ease.
    So there's a lot of compatibility with other manufacturers like Gitzo, Induro and even some less-expensive brands like Desmond or SunwayFoto.
    As far as I can tell, they all make the adapters with the same "dovetail" and compatibility is usually assured when it's a "75mm" or "100mm" accessory, as stated in the product description.
    The areas I'm less sure about are the exotic video brands, like Sachtler, who have been offering bowls for a long time, but they may still be proprietary adapters.
    If anyone can confirm that, I'd be grateful.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks for toning it down some, Johnny. Luis is cool. So are Rieses.

I'll be curious to (hopefully) see the "3-section mega-tripod" mentioned if all works out well with the Berlin. Except for the weight, my Ries is a good all-around pod for a variety of terrain (I use up to 11x14). If I could easily afford a second pod, this would be an excellent deal...it would not have the versatility of the Ries, but losing 10 pounds would be nice at times. Just got back from the eastside of the Sierras, using mostly the 11x14 and a few images with the 8x10. While I did have a lot of level-ground set-ups, the extra height just comes in so handy on sloped ground or on soft ground where one loses 6 inches in height jamming the legs into the ground.

At 6'3", I have accidentally set the 11x14 up too high with the Ries, but for most people the Berlin should be tall enough.
    Hi Vaughn,
    Yes, we do need this tripod to be somewhat successful in order to make the next one.
    The "mega-tripod" will be 6 feet tall, 3-sections, and use thicker tubes than the Berlin 38.4; the other features will be the same as the 38.4. But that's a ways away, still, and there's much that can happen between now and then.
    Thank you

Are 2 bowl sizes necessary?

I use and prefer 100mm

What will be the weight of the bowls 2 parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Are 2 bowl sizes necessary?

I use and prefer 100mm

What will be the weight of the bowls 2 parts?
    Only a few people will find it essential to have both 75mm & 100mm.
    The choice is there, though.
    I’ve not found a need yet to use the 100mm set, though someone shooting serious motion picture/video work would love 100mm bowls. So would anyone shooting big heavy ULF cameras.
    The bowl adapters weigh about 150g each, we expect the leveling bowls to be closer to 450g.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Hi Vaughn,
    Yes, we do need this tripod to be somewhat successful in order to make the next one.
    The "mega-tripod" will be 6 feet tall, 3-sections, and use thicker tubes than the Berlin 38.4; the other features will be the same as the 38.4. But that's a ways away, still, and there's much that can happen between now and then.
    Thank you
    As an user of the FLM CP30-XL Pro I would be very interested in a talller "Berlin 38.4"-like design for my 8x10.
    I'm not tall but I find the extra height/leg length useful for taking pictures over walls and positioning in irregular or downslopping terrain.
    I assume these products will also be available in Europe.

We're working on a taller version of the Berlin for next summer/fall.
    The new owners at FLM are not ready to market the tripod in Europe, so it's available in North America only until Germany decides to change course.

We're 40% funded as of this morning; thanks to all who have looked at, considered or bought the tripod.

I just wanted to add, for those of you asking about a center column:
    We don't plan on having one made by FLM for this or the next similarly-featured tripod. It would add a few hundred dollars to the price, and about 3 extra pounds to the total weight.
    That would result in a tripod that is quite remote from our original intended use and feature set.

That being said, these tripods are made to be versatile, and as such, do accept a wide variety of accessories from other manufacturers.
    So if you occasionally need a few extra inches (or a foot) of height, the least expensive addition would be this center post from Leofoto:
    https://www.amazon.com/DC404C-Leofot...oto&pldnSite=1

There are other accessories that would fit, not just center posts, so you can think about many different configurations on just one tripod.

Thanks

Would regular Gitzo Series 5 columns work?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi Peter,
    You'd have to measure to be certain, because like the term "Arca-compatible", there's enough grey area to warrant checking twice.
    The Berlin, so far, has accepted a Gitzo Series 2/3/4 bowl adapter.
    The inner diameter of the Berlin apex is 84.9mm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apex.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	171367

There's a groove running along the inside of the apex, which mates to a lip found on all the accessories. The piece is held in by a set screw, and the apex collar is then tightened.
    We designed it to accept standard-size bowl accessories, which include adapters, bowls, center posts, and most of those conform to a certain size and shape that is transferable between brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Hi Johnny,
    As I said, I've been using a Gitzo bowl adapter with a Manfrotto 75mm leveling bowl on the Berlin; it's worked great, and the heaviest 8x10 cameras were handled with ease.
    So there's a lot of compatibility with other manufacturers like Gitzo, Induro and even some less-expensive brands like Desmond or SunwayFoto.
    As far as I can tell, they all make the adapters with the same "dovetail" and compatibility is usually assured when it's a "75mm" or "100mm" accessory, as stated in the product description.
    The areas I'm less sure about are the exotic video brands, like Sachtler, who have been offering bowls for a long time, but they may still be proprietary adapters.
    If anyone can confirm that, I'd be grateful.
    Thanks!
    Thanks, Ari; looks like a pretty darn cool system, what with the plates and the bowls. Almost sounds like you're making dinner!
    I'd get the tripod with the smaller bowl system (75mm) for my 4x5 monorail (still learning every day). The prices on the Indiegogo site for the bowl and adapter are better than most I've seen online.
    So count on me once my paycheck comes in next week; looking forward to having a great tripod!
    Any chance I could pick it up from you? I'm not too far a drive, in North Bay.
    JLR