Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New FLM Tripod for LF/ULF

Re: New FLM Tripod for LF/ULF

I wanted one, but my retirement income is limited and I just moved, which always costs way more than we plan.

Good work!

Thanks, Randy!

Thanks Ari,

I'll likely be messaging you late spring/early summer!

Good luck with your next design!

Very much appreciated, thanks!

My problem is that you serve only NAFTA counties, and in Europe the Berlin it’s not available.

Yes, that was clear when we started, and I knew it would hurt the crowdfunding.
    But the tripod is an initiative of FLM USA/Canada, and as such, we're not permitted to sell outside North America.
    I'd be happy to work with you if you should get a US or Canadian forwarding address in the future.
    Or you can wait for Germany to offer the tripod, I just don't know when or if they'll want to make the complete tripod in full production runs.
    Since I don't have their overhead, I can afford to make smaller production runs. I'm quite happy if I break even the first time around, because it lays some good groundwork, while the Indiegogo is a good gauge of general interest.
    Sorry I couldn't do much for you this time, I hope that changes in the near future.

I knew from the first moment that this tripod is a FLM US/Canada initiative. If ever FLM Germany will come with such a model....

Congratulations for the succes, its a great idea.

Thank you!

Just see this topic and decide for one with the 75mm bowl. Quite amazing at 20" and bowl movement at 20 degrees look very fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZWAxt-iPIk
    Not very tall but like me so 8x10 will be right at my eye level.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Well, mine arrived today and what a beauty it is. It came with a very nice nylon padded tripod bag (with a good sized essentials pocket) and a kit of wrenches and alternate head mounting screw. I already had a leveling head so I ordered the bare tripod. It is the 4.9 lbs as expected and stands 56 and a bit inches tall. The legs have a twist lock which I my preferred method since I started with a tiltall. The finish and fit is beautiful and consistent with the FLM tripod look. The Gitzo leveling head fits perfectly snapping in past a little spring loaded ball bearing as a safety feature.
    The leg notches maintain their position when the tripod is folded up. This is a bit different from FLM's other tripod that turn inside out in which the leg locks revert to a standard position when the legs are closed and I prefer the arrangement on the Berlin as I most often use the usual footprint.
    The feet are hefty but screw off if points are preferred. The screw threads seem unlikely to unscrew spontaneously.
    I am 6 feet tall and the height is perfect for a view camera. And for a Hasselblad and WLF. If I were to use an SLR, a ball head would bring that viewfinder up to my height.
    The leg size is comparable to my GT5532LS Gitzo 5 series and In many ways these two tripods are comparable, which is no surprise as form follows function. The head changing mechanism uses an Allen wrench instead of a built in toggle but I prefer the allen wrench; I find the toggle tricksey but you only do that once, either way. The two tripods weigh the same, the Berlin is shorter by half a foot (with an extra leg mechanism) but that is reflected in the shorter collapsed length, which makes the Berlin very handleable in comparison. If I was Six foot Six inches I would probably prefer the Gitzo, but then my hands would be that much bigger too.
    The Berlin is a really really nice tripod. Fit, finish, function all bang on. And a well done bag to boot. This is a first class product.
    I half wish I had sprung for a FLM leveling head. I had a Gitzo leveling head already on the Gitzo and I was worried that FLM was not very specific about the leveling head they were going to create from scratch. I should not have worried.
    When Ari does things, he does them right. Period.