Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenses for 11x14" that aren't going to lead to bankruptcy...

Re: Lenses for 11x14" that aren't going to lead to bankruptcy...

As long as we're suggesting lenses that aren't what the OP said he's looking for, here https://web.archive.org/web/20171022...-/192340497077 is a relatively fast 500 mm tessar type. Not a heliar, in no way, shape, or form a heliar, a tessar type whose rear cell is a cemented triplet.

IIRC a 14" Commercial Ektar will juuust cover 11x14
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Couple of thoughts come to mind.

Stay away from Repromaster and Eskofot-Ultragon lenses. They came with an Agfa Repromaster copy camera. I've seen some mfg. specs that they covered 11x14.... true but at 1:1.

Up here in New England have the Brimfield Antiques show several times a year:
    http://www.brimfieldshow.com
    Also there are several multi-dealer antique stores around us that I frequent on a weekly basis. A walk through takes very little time, especially if you're only looking for photographic items. Dealers are very happy to triple their purchase prices on their items.

Put an ad in your local newspaper or weekly flyer: "Wanted old large photographic lenses". You never know what's out there. Did this a few times with no luck, but a friend did the same and struck a large Petzval optic. Told me it had several layers of dust and more on it, so the seller was quite happy with selling it to him for little dollars. He cleaned it up and told me the glass was pristine and the brass none too much the worse for wear.

"Dagor"s go for a lot of money. Double-Anastigmats seem to go for a lot less.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ble-Anastigmat

A real sleeper for 11x14 is a 508mm f/7 Caltar. Had one many years ago and regretfully sold it. Last year finally found and purchased a mint minus copy of this optic in an Ilex #5 on the big auction site for less than a dollar a mm. Lens covers 11x14 with movements and its bright image on the GG a pleasure to view. It is my favorite lens for my 11x14 hands down.

"The use of Historic Lenses in Contemporary Photography" by Paul Lipscomb is totally worth getting in my opinion. In one instance, it saved me hundreds of dollars in my not purchasing a lens (seller claimed it covered 11x14) that was non-returnable.

Good luck

You can get APO Nikkor's quite cheap on E-Bay if your patient. I think I got my 600mm APO Nikkor for something like $100. Quite a large lens but not terrible heavy for what it is, all the APO Nikkor's I've used are tack sharp. No shutter of course but a large Packard Shutter also isn't hard to obtain if your patient.

My first 11x14 lens purchase was a 19" Kodak Anastigmat (in barrel) which was really quite sharp and contrasty, and a relative bargain. My next was a 14" Goerz/Kern Blue-Dot Trigor...which was absolutely stunning but also quite rare and expensive. More recently, I've pressed into service my trusty, versatile late-generation 305mm G-Claron - which I would recommend highly. But do check into the 355 G-Claron as well as suggested above.

New Orleans, LA

As someone who dipped his toe into the water of 11x14 (but ultimately switched to 7x17) the 450 Nikkor Q (reportedly an earlier, single-coated version of the Nikkor M) served me well and was at least 1/3 the cost of the M version. I have been toying with the idea of selling it since I have another lens that is close in focal length (Fuji 420 L) that is long enough for the work I do.

Hi again, guys.

Very helpful, thank you. It seems then that there are some options out there, and if I'm contact printing only then most lenses will be 'good enough'. It's an exciting thought, this ULF stuff. I hope one day I can afford to finally take the plunge, fingers crossed sooner rather than later.

As for cameras, other than the new Chamonix and alternatives, I have no idea. Off to research that...

multiplex

look for a wollensak 1a triple convertible .. covers 11x14 un converted as well as converted..
    they pop up here photrio and ebloink from time to time .. betax shutter too ...
    i saw one for sale in the last year was selling for under 200$