Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: report from Chicago

Old School Wayne

report from Chicago

Be patient, children.

report from Chicago

Ya Wayne,

Something tells me I'll be saying the last sheets of film being produced with you still telling us to be patient....that you'll change the world and save us all from the evils of inkjet.

Yawn!

report from Chicago

I have to say that I expected this thread to generate about five responses max. It was a simple, casual observation without any big agenda. About 2 years ago my purely traditional workflow was so fine tuned both for my personal and commercial work that I could not envision anything that would change that significantly. The demands of my clients for digital files atarted to disrupted that comfortable workflow and it has been a tsunami ever since.

Next week I take my class on a filed trip to Hedrich Blessing, consevative technologically but always a bell weather of real changes in state of the art of architectural photography. Two years ago (2003) they were scanning film and retouching in PS, something they swore they would never do the year before that (2002). I'll let you know where the evolution stands now in an upcoming thread.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

report from Chicago

Kirk,

Let us know what you hear.

Re: report from Chicago

I learned how to ski in the Midwest, at a ski area named Wilmot Mountain, about an 1 1/2 hours north of Chicago. I have great memories from it. When I was 20, I moved to Alta, Utah. Alta has arguably the best snow and terrain in the world, let alone the country. After 7 beautiful seasons in Alta, I simply couldn't ski in the Midwest. Why bother?

This is how I see digital vs. film. Old school printing vs. 1 touch Epson.

One is easier than the other. One takes less effort (Wisconsin is much closer to Chicago than Utah to me).

Now, I have nothing against the fine prints you can get from an Epson. And I am certainly not a real printer though I hope to be some day.

But Kirk, I think you stepped in it here, all due respect. Given the quality of your images (I checked out your web site - your work is beautiful), I am puzzled why you dropped this little grenade here, of all places.

The average photographer here is probably the equivalent to 5 shooters in any other forum in terms of knowledge and ability.

A Mercedes can take me to the store just as fast or slow as a Chevy. But the comparisons are many, similarities few.

Re: report from Chicago

But Kirk, I think you stepped in it here, all due respect. Given the quality of your images (I checked out your web site - your work is beautiful), I am puzzled why you dropped this little grenade here, of all places.
    This is a 6 year old thread that you have resurrected, so I glanced back at what I wrote. You would need to look at the context of similar discussions preceding it to understand why I "dropped that grenade", though what that "grenade" was then-much less now-is a mystery to me. It certainly was true then in Chicago and is a historic debate now. Nor do I quite follow why you think this group is of one solid opinion on these matters then or now. Nor do I understand why, given your extremely limited participation here (6 posts in 2+ years?), why you think you know all about this group.

But quite frankly? I stand by those statements more than ever. Though I still enthusiastically (then and now) make silver prints from 4x5, I am more than ever convinced of the quality of inkjet prints that I can make from LF scanned film as does a large section of this membership. As a matter of fact I spend much more time on a given print if I am printing it digitally than traditional. My collectors both private and museum are buying and exhibiting my work more than than ever. In terms of commercial work, I enthusiastically shoot all my commercial work digitally now and would never go back to film for that. As per Hedrich-Blessing mentioned above, arguably the world leaders in architectural photography, they went totally digital maybe 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Like me they see it as a superior workflow and product for the needs of our current clients.

These issues (not really issues anymore-just facts of life) are far less controversial now than they were even 6 years ago. Heck, we have been discussing digital imaging here since at least 1998. So I have no idea actually where you are coming from.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 16-Jan-2011 at 12:52.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"