Thread: Tripod use allowed in NYC Javits Center?

Tripod use allowed in NYC Javits Center?

Does anyone know if a tripod is allowed for non-commercial photography inside the Javits Center in NYC? I read the building rules and the NYC media rules, and nothing explicitly says tripods are forbidden in the Javits, or that a permit is required.

I know there are some NYC folks on the site, hoping they see this. Thanks for any input.

Re: Tripod use allowed in NYC Javits Center?

If you are talking about the PhotoPlus show starting Thursday, ask them. It’s a private show and they will have their own rules.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

My experience with New York is no, tripods are not allowed, regulations may not ban them but local security loves to tell you that you can't do that. I have found that monopods are usually not a problem but a tripod will bring security swarming.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMGB View Post
    My experience with New York is no, tripods are not allowed, regulations may not ban them but local security loves to tell you that you can't do that. I have found that monopods are usually not a problem but a tripod will bring security swarming.
    This is a private sector event. City rules, at least within the exhibition hall, have nothing to do with it. Having spent a fair bit of time at Javits, I’m pretty sure that there also won’t be city tripod police outside the exhibition hall either.

This is up to the PhotoPlus organizers. They have probably already set out rules, and it’s a pretty good bet that the rules depend on who you represent and any discussion you’ve had with the PhotoPlus marketing people.

That said, if you intend to traipse around the exhibition hall with a tripod as a basic attendee, you are going to look stupid and annoy people, and you may well be invited to stop. As a regular member of the public, there’s a pretty good chance that you won’t even be allowed in. Hence my suggestion that you check out their own rules.

Personally, having been to PhotoPlus four times, I’ve never seen an ordinary ticket paying person carrying a tripod.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Thanks for the input so far. Not attending the PhotoPlus show, the question has nothing to do with that.

Does anyone have first hand experience successfully, or unsuccessfully, using a tripod inside the Javits?