Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dur-Lar/Mylar alternatives?

Re: Dur-Lar/Mylar alternatives?

Thanks for the info Pere!

The Melinex is £30 for 200 A4 sheets, whereas the Dura-Lar is £96 for the same amount, so it's less than a third of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Thanks for the info Pere!

The Melinex is £30 for 200 A4 sheets, whereas the Dura-Lar is £96 for the same amount, so it's less than a third of the cost.
    Not at all, it was also great for me discovering Melinex, I was not aware it was the same (BoPET) than Dura-Lar. Still I'm messing with glass for dry plates, but I'll also try Melinex with side by side with Dura-Lar when I engage DIY film making.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTreacy View Post
    Hi all,

I've been looking into alternatives for wet scanning using when Dura-Lar/Mylar to sandwich the negative, really to see if I can find a cheaper item that does the same thing as Mylar or Dura-Lar.

I'm aware that Mylar is just a product name invented by DuPont who produce it so if anyone knows what Mylar basically is that would be great.

I'm based in the Uk and I contacted a company who supply different plastic sheets for many trades, they suggested a product called Melinex (also made by DuPont), I got a sample sheet and I wondered if anyone else had experience of scanning with Melinex?

The sample I got is 75 microns thick, as oppose to 125 Mylar which i have previously used, I guess scanning is the only way to tell if it's a suitable alternative. be good to know if anyone has tried it though.

Thanks.
    Danny,

What size film are you scanning? What kind of scanner (drum or flat bed?)

We never used mylar film for drum or flatbed scanning. We scanned 35mm up through 8x10 using only the film itself and Scotch "Magic" tape. We used nothing but pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil as the scanning fluid. The "mounting station" for scanner drums need be nothing but a plastic cradle to hold the drum on a light table.

I'd be glad to describe the technique if you're interested.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich14 View Post
    Danny,

What size film are you scanning? What kind of scanner (drum or flat bed?)

We never used mylar film for drum or flatbed scanning. We scanned 35mm up through 8x10 using only the film itself and Scotch "Magic" tape. We used nothing but pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil as the scanning fluid. The "mounting station" for scanner drums need be nothing but a plastic cradle to hold the drum on a light table.

I'd be glad to describe the technique if you're interested.

Rich
    Hi Rich,

I'm scanning 5x4 and 10x8 using an Epson 850 (flatbed).

Be good to hear about your technique.

Thanks.

Danny, have you found a supplier in the UK then?

I've tried both with and without overlay. Without is quicker (for a single sheet), simpler and very slightly sharper in my experience. However if you're doing batches the overlay is quicker, and has the benefit of keeping all the taping outside the scanning area on the drum. I you tape within the scanning area - as with single sheets and no overlay - it's very easy to scratch the drum when removing the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Long View Post
    Danny, have you found a supplier in the UK then?

I've tried both with and without overlay. Without is quicker (for a single sheet), simpler and very slightly sharper in my experience. However if you're doing batches the overlay is quicker, and has the benefit of keeping all the taping outside the scanning area on the drum. I you tape within the scanning area - as with single sheets and no overlay - it's very easy to scratch the drum when removing the film.
    Hi, I'm not drum scanning, I'm flat bed scanning. Thanks