Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple bulb only shutter

Re: Simple bulb only shutter

Make the guillotine-type slide from construction paper. It works. Consider that some large shutters use coated paper blades. Also place the slide on its side so the shutter passes horizontally and use it as a push-pull device. That simplifies construction, too.
    Jac, how would it work with a cable release horizontally? I need to be able to open and close the shutter from distance and with little movement as I want to try some self portraits.

Search also for guerry shutter. I have a pneumatic simplification of one right here on the bench. It's like overlapping barn doors.
    This looks like it has potential, even the Norka style barn doors version could work too. I'll take another look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Make the guillotine-type slide from construction paper. It works. Consider that some large shutters use coated paper blades. Also place the slide on its side so the shutter passes horizontally and use it as a push-pull device.
    What kind of a mechanism will slide the paper blade horizontally? How will the mechanism be permanently attached to the thin paper? How will you avoid the deterioration of the paper while moving in the sliding compartment? A thin plastic sheet is a much better material than paper.

OK, I've gone in a slightly different direction now, inspired by the barn door idea:

Apologies for the giant sized image, dropbox doesn't give me any resize options!

I'm not sure I understand the question. Packard shutters are pretty foolproof and still available at packardshutter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Packard shutters are pretty foolproof and still available at packardshutter.com
    I'm sure you understand the question Will, but possibly not the reason why I ask the question, the answer to which is twofold.

1. Cost
    2. Building stuff is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by moizak View Post
    Ha, it's ok, I had a brainwave (possibly) following Jim's message. Anyone think something like this could work?

How are you going to focus? It would seem to me that you would need a longer piece that has a setting for fully open which would allow one to focus.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    How are you going to focus? It would seem to me that you would need a longer piece that has a setting for fully open which would allow one to focus.
    Although I'm probably going to try and develop something more along the lines of the second design, even in this one, I would have attached the shutter to the lens after focussing or not put the sliding element in until I was ready to shoot. Something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by moizak View Post
    I would have attached the shutter to the lens after focussing or not put the sliding element in until I was ready to shoot. Something along those lines.
    Hmm, you want to use your shutter for self-portraits. How do you want to focus the lens on yourself first and put the sliding element there before you are ready to shoot without moving out of focus?? I think you're just pulling our legs or you're full of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Hmm, you want to use your shutter for self-portraits. How do you want to focus the lens on yourself first and put the sliding element there before you are ready to shoot without moving out of focus?? I think you're just pulling our legs or you're full of something.
    Firstly, charmed to meet you too, glad you are able to judge me so quickly.

Secondly, if I'm behind the camera focusing, how will i be in front of the camera to be focused on? Surely it is reasonable to assume i will put something in place of me in front of the camera, focus, load the dark side, place the shutter mechanism, pull the dark side, replace the object in front of the camera with myself, fire the shutter.

There are plenty of things I'm full of, what you are thinking of is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    To reply to my own posting... I have been thinking about needing to focus: extend that lever on the left so that the top edge of the dropping shutter starts out above the lens.

Design it so the first click drops the shutter to cover the lens. Then you can remove the dark slide of the sheet film holder. Once that is removed, the next click exposes the film then immediately covers the lens whereupon you can insert the dark slide.