Thread: Ilford MG 500H head lamps vs 4x5 light mixer box (on a De Vere 504)

Question Ilford MG 500H head lamps vs 4x5 light mixer box (on a De Vere 504)

Hi All

If you've dipped into some of my recent threads, I've intended to swap an Ilford MG head from a De Vere 203, to a De Vere 504. That's now been done (90% successfully!)... the part of the puzzle is concerning the lamps.

I swapped the 120 light mixer box out for a 4x5 mixer box. Now the lamps don't align with the 4x5 mixer box's windows (about 50% back from them). There doesn't seem to be any reasonable way to 'pull' the lamps forward to realign with the mixer box windows.

I've printed from the enlarger this way, so, it does work, but, it just doesn't seem correct to leave them only 50% exposed to the mixer window.

Any insights from those in the know? Thanks in advance.

Re: Ilford MG 500H head lamps vs 4x5 light mixer box (on a De Vere 504)

The lamps in the 500H head (which I use) slide easily side-to-side.

When changing a mixing box, you move them fully aside, mount the box, then move them tight against it.
    The adapter plates (if used) have stops to properly position the lights.

Refer to the instructions in section 4.1a on page 21 of the manual.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Martin, you're absolutely correct.

Depending on the 5x4 mixing box you have, will dictate whether the lamps are in the right position or not.

Ilford sold an extension kit which moved the entire lamp assemblies out towards the front of the head thus lining the holes in the mixing box with the lamp assemblies.

The head i use now is a newer design the mixing box holes are in the right place.

What i did with my earlier version was to make some extensions out of BA threaded screws and nuts so that everything lined up. If my memory is correct, you need to move the lamps out by around 34mm, but check before you commit to the screw lengths.

There is no adapter plate used when the 5x4 box is used, only when the medium and small format boxes are used, that's why the lamp extension kit came about.

Mike

Red face Re: Ilford MG 500H head lamps vs 4x5 light mixer box (on a De Vere 504)

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Martin, you're absolutely correct.

Depending on the 5x4 mixing box you have, will dictate whether the lamps are in the right position or not.

Ilford sold an extension kit which moved the entire lamp assemblies out towards the front of the head thus lining the holes in the mixing box with the lamp assemblies.

The head i use now is a newer design the mixing box holes are in the right place.

What i did with my earlier version was to make some extensions out of BA threaded screws and nuts so that everything lined up. If my memory is correct, you need to move the lamps out by around 34mm, but check before you commit to the screw lengths.

There is no adapter plate used when the 5x4 box is used, only when the medium and small format boxes are used, that's why the lamp extension kit came about.

Mike
    Excellent! That’s exactly the info I’ve been looking for. So a big thanks! From what you’ve written then, I can modify this without the need for the Ilford extension kit?

Quote Originally Posted by martincf View Post
    Excellent! That’s exactly the info I’ve been looking for. So a big thanks! From what you’ve written then, I can modify this without the need for the Ilford extension kit?
    I've just reread your spot, mpirie... so yes, I'll give it whirl with some longer screws and nuts. Thanks!

Yes Martin, that's exactly what i did.......i just found a way (using long screws and nuts) to move the lamp holders into the correct positions.

Afterall, the chances of finding the official Ilford kit are next to none!

Mike

I had to do that with one of my heads and used some square aluminium tube:

Nice solution Paul!

Mike