Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super glue and baking soda trick

Super glue and baking soda trick

I just came across this and can think of a few camera repair and other jobs that would benefit. Repairing plastic film holders comes to mind.
    If it will fix a helicopter blade, holding together a broken standard on a Cambo should be a piece of cake!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Super glue and baking soda trick

Hmmmmm, run test first.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I just came across this and can think of a few camera repair and other jobs that would benefit. Repairing plastic film holders comes to mind.
    If it will fix a helicopter blade, holding together a broken standard on a Cambo should be a piece of cake!
    Maybe you should get more information about the stuff before you make your educated guess.

"When added to baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), cyanoacrylate glue forms a hard, lightweight adhesive filler (baking soda is first used to fill a gap then the adhesive is dropped onto the baking soda). This works well with porous materials that do not work well with the adhesive alone. This method is sometimes used by aircraft modelers to assemble or repair polystyrene foam parts. It is also used to repair small nicks in the leading edge of composite propeller blades on light aircraft.[citation needed] The reaction between cyanoacrylate and baking soda is very exothermic (heat-producing) and also produces noxious vapors." (Wikipedia)

All it does is making filler. At the price of "very exothermic" reaction.
    And, in the case you don't know it, the cyanoacrylate glues become brittle if exposed to the temperatures < 0°C.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Here's another handy trick for photographers using household chemicals: you can develop film in Coca-Cola! Just fill your developing tank with coke, put in the film, add some Mentos tablets, quickly put on the tank lid, and agitate vigorously!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Here's another handy trick for photographers using household chemicals: you can develop film in Coca-Cola! Just fill your developing tank with coke, put in the film, add some Mentos tablets, quickly put on the tank lid, and agitate vigorously!

I think of super glue applied correctly (on proper materials & surfaces) as liquid plexiglass, as one can apply layer after layer of the watery stuff until it sits slightly above the surface of an area that is badly scratched on some clear coat finishes and fill the deep scratches...

I had to restore a classic vintage bass guitar that had been very badly abused (and even had ended up in a toy box, judging by the kid's unicorn and rainbow stickers on and inside the instrument) and had very deep gouges in the very thick lacquer finish)... It looked hopeless, but as a "science" learning project, I decided to try very carefully to sand and polish down the entire instrument (curved top hollow body) deep down past the surface to the bottom of where most of the scratches were... I had to take it down very evenly like it was a telescope mirror or lens with small, even strokes, so it would later reflect light correctly... But the few deepest gouges were well below the level of the general scratching, so the deep grooves (like on an 78 record) needed filling, so the grooves were carefully cleaned up, and a few beads of superglue were filled inside, and after a day or two of drying, they were carefully profiled down and polished with the rest of the instrument... The valleys vanished!!! And the unit looked overall great!!! (Another weird thing that came up on this project was when doing the deep polishing, a strange, familiar old smell came up very strong, that I think may have been trapped into the body long ago, that I think was patchuli incense, possibly from when it might have lived in some reeking hippy crash pad in the 60's, a "time capsule" inside this 1967 Aria Beatle bass type guitar (the first model of ANY electric guitar ever made in Japan, and Lord knows, they made quite a few instruments over there after this first effort!!!) )...

I even tried this on the edge of a chipped condenser in some projection gear once that was leaving a clam shell shaped shadow on the edge of the frame, and at least it filled the uneven chipped area, and no shadow could be seen... (YMMV for scratched optics, due to refractive indexes etc, but it did remove the shadow from the jagged area...)

For Mark's tip, years ago someone's project had taken water from the Hudson River by NYC, and left exposed film in it for a week or two, where it started to develop the latent image and formed a (weak) image... (Careful where you mention this, as this might become the next big internet sensation if it gets around!!!) ;-)

Steve K

Sowill the Coke work alone or does the Mentos activate the coca Cola developer?

Can you substitute Pepsi or even a non-cola soft drink?

Is there a video available on this?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Is there a video available on this?
    Why yes there is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cts3MrHnYIU
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

multiplex

thanks john
    i ended up down the youtube rabbit hole
    and watched this same guy open his car.
    then i watched some video with glass blowers
    and peacocks and dominos and then
    someone doing 5 minute crafts ...
    i am about to make a foozeball set out of
    clothes pins, some hot glue gun glue and a shoe box
    or maybe a periscope or magnet powered car .
    i do know i need some more hot glue ///

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    thanks john
    i ended up down the youtube rabbit hole
    and watched this same guy open his car.
    then i watched some video with glass blowers
    and peacocks and dominos and then
    someone doing 5 minute crafts ...
    i am about to make a foozeball set out of
    clothes pins, some hot glue gun glue and a shoe box
    or maybe a periscope or magnet powered car .
    i do know i need some more hot glue ///
    ahh, the you tube rabbit hole, appropriately named! Before there was you tube there was the Whole Earth Catalog and I wanted to build that hang glider out of black plastic visqueen, bamboo poles and duct tape.
    Likely would have gotten me killed.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White