Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand 17 question

rank beginner

Brand 17 question

The Brand 17 has a rotating back. I haven't been able to figure out how to rotate it (from landscape to portrait). There doesn't seem to be a detent. But it won't move. Although it wiggles a little, just enough to show me what would move (if it moved).

Re: Brand 17 question

There should be a a silver thumb screw on the top of the back (in landscape mode) intended to lock down or add friction to rotation. There are no detents. If you find no such thumb screw, then it might be broken off, sticking the back in position. If that is the case then we can talk about how to extract the stuck screw and how to replace it.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 18-Aug-2017 at 15:51.

rank beginner

There is such a screw, but on mine it's at the bottom, as illustrated. Should I turn it CW, CCW or ...?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brand17back.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	168624

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Kelly View Post
    There is such a screw, but on mine it's at the bottom, as illustrated. Should I turn it CW, CCW or ...?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brand17back.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	168624
    In my modest experience that is not the thumbscrew unless the handle on your camera is on the right side. Is it? It would make our day if the handle was on the right (from the camera back). Turn the screw anti-clockwise.

Very best of luck, sincerely. Hang in. We will get it sorted out.

Oh, to loosen always turn anti-clockwise.

Jac

rank beginner

Hm, no. The handle is on the left side. There is some (audible, i.e., squeaky) sign of movement when I attempt to turn the screw CCW, but the back resists all the same. I see nothing on top to indicate that a screw is missing. (Room for a joke there.)

Interesting. That was my first camera many moons ago, and a very good one. From your picture, I believe the front and rear standards are reversed. Not an answer to your question, but the Brand 17 label should be the front of the camera, not the rear. I'll try to recall how to release the back for rotation.

rank beginner

Hi, Merg. Thanks for joining in. You're right, although, from what I can gather by looking at various images on Google, this position is fairly common. Is there an advantage either way?

Mine is the later version. There's a picture here [http://forum.mflenses.com/brand-came...7-t51261.html] of the earlier version that shows the thumb screw Jac mentioned. Maybe the one I have just needs a nut, to turn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Kelly View Post
    Hi, Merg. Thanks for joining in. You're right, although, from what I can gather by looking at various images on Google, this position is fairly common. Is there an advantage either way?

Mine is the later version. There's a picture here [http://forum.mflenses.com/brand-came...7-t51261.html] of the earlier version that shows the thumb screw Jac mentioned. Maybe the one I have just needs a nut, to turn it.
    Hi Bernard. Okay, there seem to be several models. The one you link is earlier than the one I was using.

So, how do you fine focus yours in the present configuration? Perhaps you know that the lens standard can be moved to the center block for short lenses.

We need to find an answer for the rotating back issue, a really nice feature.

rank beginner

The one with the muscular handle is, I think, the first version. Mine is like the one in the photo you put on your website, Merg, with the silver handle. I focus by moving the front standard only. Back and forth along the rails. My shortest lens is a 90 mm, so I haven't had need of the center block maneuver yet.

Bernard, have you tried pulling down on that knob? Perhaps it releases the back for rotation, wish I could remember!