Thread: 11x14 Negative Storage

11x14 Negative Storage

Hey folks, tried looking around the forum but couldn't dig up much regarding 11x14 negatives and storage. Glassine vs Printfile (or other generic).

Apologies if my search overlooked something and I am beating a dead horse topic on the forum.

Re: 11x14 Negative Storage

I use Lineco/Archivalware polypropylene fold-lock sleeves.

X-ray films used to be stored in paper envelopes and stored in file cabinets, but you can do better/safer than that...

Maybe folding larger sheets of archival rag paper (that you buy in a ream), and folding it into a folder, and inserting these into a archival box or metal file cabinet will be OK...

Steve K

My mentor surprised me... he uses 2ml 11x14 U Line Poly bags... how is that archival?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, here's what the Library of Congress says about materials for storage of negatives and prints:

Suitable protective enclosures for photographic prints and negatives are made of plastic or paper that meet certain specifications:

• Paper enclosures must be acid-free, lignin-free, and are available in both alkaline buffered (pH 8.5) and unbuffered (neutral, pH 7) stock. Storage materials must pass the ANSI Photographic Activity Test (PAT) which is noted in supplier's catalogs. Buffered paper enclosures are recommended for brittle prints that have been mounted onto poor quality secondary supports and for deteriorated film-base negatives. Buffered enclosures are not recommended for contemporary color materials. Paper enclosures minimize unnecessary light exposure; are porous; easy to label with pencil; and are relatively inexpensive.
    • Suitable plastic enclosures are made of uncoated polyester film, uncoated cellulose triacetate, polyethylene, and polypropylene. Note: Photographic emulsions may stick to the slick plastic surfaces of these storage materials at high relative humidity (RH). Plastic enclosures must not be used for glass plate, nitrate, or acetate-based negatives.

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/photo.html