Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classifieds??

Re: Classifieds??

I was replying to your post lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You might want to explain why you say this
    Sure, Kirk.

Wet plate is, well, wet. I've never done it myself but I have seen cameras that have been used for wet plate and sometimes the "wet" gets on the camera. Some say that they are extremely careful and it hasn't happened to them but I know Murphy's law really well.

I used to own a Tachihara 4x5 and they are pretty. The Cherry wood is sickly sweet with all the varnish. Kind of like a candy apple red paint job on a 57' Chevy. I was always afraid of scratching the thing. Now I own a second hand Wehman. It's kind of like my Jeep. Those scratches were earned and are character! Well, that's what I keep telling myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thevegasrealtor View Post
    Having the ability to change formats would be nice. Was thinking I could get separate 4x5 and 8x10 but to have all in one would be cool, like the 2d and I'm sure others.
    Well, yeah, but 8x10 cameras, lenses and holders are larger and heavier than 4x5ers. If you have a strong back an 8x10 with a reducing back would be fine. Otherwise, not so fine.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Well, yeah, but 8x10 cameras, lenses and holders are larger and heavier than 4x5ers. If you have a strong back an 8x10 with a reducing back would be fine. Otherwise, not so fine.
    Brother Dan the OP said he is jumping straight into wet plate photography and there is NOTHING light about wet plate photography w/ all the developing gear needed. Not to mention that a 4x5 plate gets small fast when that is the finished product (for the most part) so it's not long before the OP may want a larger plate.

Brother Lou, you're right. Dry plate replaced wet plate for many good reasons and film replaced plate for some of them. I plead guilty to thinking in terms of film. Shame on me.

Still no luck.... (Sad face)

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Wet plate is, well, wet. I've never done it myself but I have seen cameras that have been used for wet plate and sometimes the "wet" gets on the camera. Some say that they are extremely careful and it hasn't happened to them but I know Murphy's law really well. \
    After way more than a thousand plates, I have yet to have the first drop hit the camera. Just sayin'...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

In one month I will be a recognized member in the WTB board!