Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ULF Tripod and Tripod Head Discussion

Re: ULF Tripod and Tripod Head Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
    Michael, What is a -2 tripod head?

Is this the Manfrotto support arm you mentioned? I have one and it works fairly well.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_Support.html
    Burce:

Will is correct: the Reis A-250-2 head. Sorry for any confusion.

And that is exactly the arm I am looking for! Thank you!

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

I'm really not sure about this tripod. The A250-2 head is amazing but the way the Ries legs unlock and such is a head scratcher for me. Obviously LF / ULF isn't fast but the set up of this thing is painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting my Ries is as fast (if not faster) as any other big tripod I have ever seen/used. Perhaps practice will make it the same as you. What especially seems odd to you about the Reis pod's set-up?

One thing I would suggest is extending the lower legs a little more so you don't put the leg-tighteners into the ground.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Setting my Ries is as fast (if not faster) as any other big tripod I have ever seen/used. Perhaps practice will make it the same as you. What especially seems odd to you about the Reis pod's set-up?
    I've used RRS and some Gitzo fancy 3 series someone gave me for free (nice friends I have) and there's no way the Ries is as fast. A quick wrist snap and my legs are extended.

I find it hard to get the tripod somewhat level with the legs being able to be set at any angle. I see that as a strength if I'm somewhere with some strange terrain.

I suppose I'm just not used to it. Just adjusting it while a camera is loaded makes me really sweat.

Speaking of painful, I borrowed an older Gitzo Series 5 tripod. Thanks, Peter!

I cannot use the Gitso, my arthritic hands scream in defeat just attempting to loosen or tighten the leg clamps. Very glad I didn't buy one. His Arca ball head is wonderful. On smaller cameras.

I use Kessler Crane QR with KWIK STAND XL, 11X14 Chamonix on Majestic head and tripod. I need a big QR as direct mount is also a finger battle. I might drop the whole contraption.

Now I hear the Ries knobs 'bite'. I'll stick with big Linhof or a Majestic. I can operate those.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Speaking of painful, I borrowed an older Gitzo Series 5 tripod. Thanks, Peter!

I cannot use the Gitso, my arthritic hands scream in defeat just attempting to loosen or tighten the leg clamps. Very glad I didn't buy one. His Arca ball head is wonderful. On smaller cameras.

I use Kessler Crane QR with KWIK STAND XL, 11X14 Chamonix on Majestic head and tripod. I need a big QR as direct mount is also a finger battle. I might drop the whole contraption.

Now I hear the Ries knobs 'bite'. I'll stick with big Linhof or a Majestic. I can operate those.
    I'm 32 with a good grip and moose hands and I really have to crank those brass knobs. Well made though for sure!

Adjust the legs while the camera is on the pod? I only occasionally need to do that -- I guess working with the Reis (8x10 and 11x14) for 30 years has caused me to develop habits best suited for the Ries. I find leveling to be quick on even and uneven ground -- again probably due to practice. But I rarely level the pod with the camera on it. Remembering to lock the legs in place is my toughest challenge...I tend to leave them all loose until I have the pod leveled. Occasionally I will need to move the pod (with camera on it) a foot or two or three. With the legs locked, this has been pretty easy, terrain permitting.

I carry the pod with the legs already extended to the usual leg length I use. I find it easier to carry with the legs extended -- no knobs near my shoulders when I carry it over my shoulder and it carries better balanced. I also use it as a climbing assist, and de-weight it (by placing it on the ground) when stepping up or down, so that my legs/knees do not have to lift or lower the weight...the pack with the 8x10 is enough for my old knees. I have taken a few good falls with it -- so far so good for both of it. A tough pod! A carbon fiber or aluminum pod would have been toast.

I have not handled a new one, but mine does not have to be over-tightened or hard cranked to be steady and un-movable.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I own 2 Ries tripods, the A100 and J100. Each have double tilt heads. I have no problem with tightening the brass knobs. My J100 head had the old chrome disc knob which I changed out for a brass knob. The disc knobs tore your hands up tightening them!

Set-up is fast enough for me. I shoot an 8x10 Wehman and absolutely love the leg locks. Like Vaughn, I normally level the tripod before attaching the camera. I have a bad back but I have moved my J100 tripod a short distance with camera attached and leveled it with no problem.

You have to get used to your equipment but even then what works for one person won't for the next.

I use a Ries A100 with the A200 single tilt head on my V11 with no issues, and I'm a whole lot older than 34!

I also have several majestic heads as well as a J100 (for 57) & J100-2 (for 8x10) legs and a Gitzo 5 series. Of all, I prefer the Ries!
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 15-Oct-2017 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post

And that is exactly the arm I am looking for! Thank you!

Mike
    So I want to the B&H page, decided this is what I need. But the best part is in the reviews:

Excellent support at a great price By Higherres

I work in ULF and mammoth plate wet collodion. My largest camera is a 22x27" and requires two tripods, plus two of these support arms to ensure as much stability as possible. It has helped tremendously to have these, and has made it much quicker and easier to set up my gigantic rig.
    I highly recommend them.

and Higherres posted his setup. Photos attached.

The Gitzo, Reis, and Manfrotto arm combo are more common that one may think!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hzpfb3dhhextdrfviiev.jpg   ekiups9h4dyrkjz3t792.jpg  
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”