Thread: Recommendations for a 1,000+mm lens for 11x14 needed

Recommendations for a 1,000+mm lens for 11x14 needed

Am looking of a 1,000+mm lens to use on my Chamonix 11x14. Have already adapted to use a Sinar shutter in front of the front standard (with lens stopped down, vignetting shouldn't be a problem) and also have a lens support made from a modified Sinar Norma Auxiliary standard. To support the front end, have adapted to use a Manfrotto 359 Long Lens Support... Well it just plain works

Re: Recommendations for a 1,000+mm lens for 11x14 needed

I owned a 42" Red Dot brass lens in an Ilex #5 that was a heavy bugger that challenged me with being at or near maximum bellows extension and front end loading and the issues that accompany this condition. Got some movement on a few negatives and then I did not use it as much because when I found the image to shoot the wind was my nemesis. Found a 35" Red Dot in shutter that was put into an aluminum barrel and mounted in a #5 Ilex and that was the ticket. Much much lighter and my V11 managed it much better in the field. The easiest part was just taking a few steps forward to set up over the 42" Red Dot so I sold the longer lens. Plus I did not need any auxiliary support for the front extension which for adheres to my keep it simple mantra.

I've used what the video guys call an Israeli Arm, Yup, that's what they call it!. It's the same kind of thing except there's a moveable joint in the middle and whatever is being supported can be anywhere in relation to the tripod leg.

Alex Timmermans

Hust curious, why do you need 1000mm+ for 11x14"?
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl

Quote Originally Posted by alex from holland View Post
    That 1000mm would only be a touch over double the 'normal' (420 to 480mm) focal length for 11x14.

I have a 24" (610mm) RD Artar that is nice for the 11x14. I have a 19" (482mm) RD Artar I hope will cover 11x14.

Vaughn
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by alex from holland View Post
    Have been using the rear 27" lens group of my 12 3/4" Protar on my 11x14 camera to do a series of "across the river" images and it just isn't long enough. Hopefully over the next few months I will find a 1,000+mm lens at a bargain price.

Recommendations for a 1,000+mm lens for 11x14 needed

Some options are explored here: http://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blog...ndations-14x17

The RD Artar or APO-Ronar CL (several options) are probably your best bet. The real question is do you have a big enough lensboard for the lens diameter/flange and can your front stand “stand it”. Sorry for the poor joke!

If you can stand loosing 100mm the 35” RD Artar is a great option too - not so huge and can be mounted in a Compound 5. I have one of those but actually haven’t used it on my 11x14 since its the newest to the stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by angusparker; 21-Oct-2017 at 07:23.

Look here: http://www.galerie-photo.org/n3-f2,91926.html

Cross-check against other sources listed here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses I'm not sure that Henri's list is complete -- completeness is hard to attain, there are so many obscure old lenses -- and I have doubts about some of his coverage estimates.