Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with old 5x7

Help with old 5x7

Hi Ive got this old Gebruder Huth 5x7 and I just figured out standard 5x7 holders are too small. So, I figured it took singles but the dimensions for the singles are too small as well. The opening is 6 5/16(160mm) x 8 1/2(216mm) x 5/16 (8mm). The pictures show how a standard double side holder fits. Any idea where I can get film holders for this thing? Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8538.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	170786

Name:	IMG_8539.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	170787

Name:	IMG_8540.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	170788

Re: Help with old 5x7

Just a guess because I barely do 4x5, but it sounds like a full plate camera to me.
    Kevin Taylor
    Bonehead amateur

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Just a guess because I barely do 4x5, but it sounds like a full plate camera to me.
    I thought that too, but the back opening (not sure what its called) measures pretty near 5x7. I suppose if anything it could be a half plate.

With a name like Gebruder Huth (The Huth Brothers) and a camera made of walnut (I think) it is probably a 13x18cm camera using book type plate holders from sometime between 1880 and 1910.

The double plate holder you have is a very much later design.

Google - I found this as a starter.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Huth

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    With a name like Gebruder Huth (The Huth Brothers) and a camera made of walnut (I think) it is probably a 13x18cm camera using book type plate holders from sometime between 1880 and 1910.

The double plate holder you have is a very much later design.

Google - I found this as a starter.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Huth
    You know, I saw that page the other day and still can't figure out how I looked over that. Well now that I know its a 13x18, I suppose finding a plate holder will be next to impossible.

How does the back fit onto the camera--with pins fitting into spring metal tabs? It ooksl ike it slides in behind those brass pieces--if so how would it seal to make a light trap?
    I ask because fabricating a back might not be to difficult. That way you could use it until the proper fitting holders can be found
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    How does the back fit onto the camera--with pins fitting into spring metal tabs? It ooksl ike it slides in behind those brass pieces--if so how would it seal to make a light trap?
    I ask because fabricating a back might not be to difficult. That way you could use it until the proper fitting holders can be found
    That’s exactly how it attaches inside the brass tabs. My original (only at this point) plan was to make a couple hardwood holding strips on each side. The film holders I have appear to line up fine on the inside so if I can’t come up with a better solution, DIY method will commence.

Between here and there

Steven got it. Finding a 5x7" back to graft on to the Huth shouldn't be all that troublesome. Possiibly, one could modify a holder to fit - putting some sort of tabs on it that would match the original back.

Finding original holders would probably be as easy as winning the lottery.

I disagree with lottery analogy!

There are some different plate holder designs - but (For Germany cameras, not French!) these are variations on a very similar theme! I have acquired something like 30 plate holders for 13x18cm (and the bigger sisters: 18x24, 24x30 and 30x40cm) without too much difficulty on ebay.de.

It is a fact of life that 13x18cm is a very good approximation to 5x7" and dear old Kodak cut film sheaths made for 5x7 fit perfectly in book type plate holders. In fact, it is not necessary with film sheath - all you need is a stiff plate between the spring(s) and the cut film. I find this second method to be the easiest in a changing bag.

Quote Originally Posted by n61870 View Post
    The pictures show how a standard double side holder fits.
    Does your "standard holder" have the same size like the real standard holders?

I "simply" connected a standard back from a Plaubel rail camera to my russian 13x18cm Reisekamera.
    Filling the room with a wooden adapter, and screwing the Plaubel back to the adapter has been the job, and I am able to use standard filmholders.

I a case of a 9x12 Plattencamera I builded a simple back which holds standard 4x5" fidelities with strings of gum.
    In this case I also had to remove the septum from such a fidelity holder and to bring in a grounglass instead.
    A fiddling job overall´.

Ritchie