Thread: De Vere 504 Electronic Timer

De Vere 504 Electronic Timer

Hi all,

Since I'm in the (slooow) process of building a small darkroom, I haven't been actively contributing here. I have been following along with many topics though. The worktop and sink are ready, and I recently got a door in my little darkroom booth, so I am about ready to make things light-tight.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to acquire a De Vere 504 enlarger (thanks for the lead koraks). Since I just start printing in the darkroom, the beast is probably a bit of overkill - no less fun though. Really looking forward to put it to use. Also noticed I'm not the only one with a "new" De Vere 504.

I have two questions concerning the electronic timer that is attached to the trans stab of the enlarger.

1) Unfortunately my timer does not function. It needs to be attached for the trans stab to do its job though. Of course I can add an additional external timer, but I'd rather try to fix things. Of course I opened up the timer, and was happy to find a broken fuse. Now either the fuse was just old and broken, or there is a good reason the fuse was broken to begin with. This is typically the time for good old Murphy to drop by, and indeed after replacing the fuse I'm still out of luck. I am by no means an electrical engineer, but want to try and narrow down the problem a bit.

So my question is: anybody have a data sheet of the electronic timer available?

2) Assuming I get the timer going at some point, I'd be interested to see if I can add a foot switch as well. This is by no means necessary, but it would be nice to use the systems full potential. The original foot switch is quite pricey though (for my use anyhow), and I was thinking if a DIY solution is possible for this. The circuit seems rather simple, though the connector seems custom (or at least not familiar to me).

I was wondering if anybody tried modifying a cheap foot switch for this purpose?

Thanks!

Re: De Vere 504 Electronic Timer

There is a plug that you use on the back of the power supply if not using the DV universal timer. This allows you to turn the light on and off from the power supply. You can also purchase a special interface cable from KHB Fotografix in Canada that allows you to use any timer with the DeVere. Their description of the interface is:

If you would prefer to use a timer of your choice with your DeVere enlarger rather than the DeVere Universal Timer, this is the accessory required - the 120V Timer Interface. The back of the adapter box has the 8-pin DeVere connector that plugs into the power supply. You plug the timer's AC cord into the 3-prong receptacle on the face of the box, and plug the cord from the box into the "Enlarger" receptacle on your timer.

Suitable for use with the 203, 504, 507, 5108, 515, and other De Vere enlargers for which the #1955 Universal Timer is specified. Supplied with 6-ft. cord. Note: For use with 120V DeVere power supplies and 120V timers with North American type grounded plugs only.

I'd really suggest speaking with them, they're very helpful. 905-670-5166 L

http://store.khbphotografix.com/De-V...Interface.html
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 11-Oct-2017 at 17:13.

That is an interesting cable indeed. Thanks for the information! Would need a different power plug here though.

Will look to repair the current timer first, hoping to restore the enlarger to its original state. If that doesn't work out I can contact them.
    Last edited by ropel; 14-Oct-2017 at 10:49.

I'm sure Odessey sales in the UK has the right cable for you. L