Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Third party Jobo tanks on eBay.

Re: Third party Jobo tanks on eBay.

So, the first package arrived last night, the other one looks like tomorrow. I think I'll divide my "review" into three parts: 1) first look at the tank (in my possession); 2) first look at the 5x7 reels (coming tomorrow), and 3) seeing if it works as a rotary processing tank as advertised for 5x7.

Part one is simple. The outer box looks like it went through hell to get here, but the inner product box looks fine and so do the parts in side (tank, lid, cap, spindle).
    Generally, the product looks good, although all the parts are definitely a bit thinner of a gauge plastic than the original Jobo. When putting the lid on the tank and cap on the lid, you have to be a bit more careful to put it on straight, and to put them on all the way. There's a bit of wiggle room for not putting them on straight or completely, so that is important.

Once the lid is locked on, it seems to be firmly on just like the JOBO, though it's a bit easier to accidentally move the lock on ring of the lid, which will make it not so firmly on. So, it looks like it might work fine, just handle with a bit more care than the JOBO.

So, in the second and third parts, we'll see a) if the reels go together well and hold 5x7 film nicely; b) if the tank leaks at all during rotary processing; and c) how the film comes out.

I don't think I'll be using the 300ml recommended as a minimum for rotary processing. That amount of Pyrocat MC would get exhausted long before finishing the development of six 5x7" film sheets anyway. I'm thinking I need at least 100ml per sheet, maybe more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5365.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	174323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5366.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	174324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5367.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	174325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5368.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	174326
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Just two videos showing a bit more wobble in the Poilot tank (both are empty)

JOBO:

Also, the tanks (empty, no reels, spindles or caps) weigh 14.2 ounces (Jobo) vs. 12.1 ounces (Poilot)

Apparently I can't put two video links in one post, so another post coming....
    David Aimone Photography

David Aimone Photography

thanks for the videos. so the the injection mold was not symmetrical I'm guessing. altho the wobble might help with agitation, not unlike the Simma roller base with eccentric wheels.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Ok, so the reel arrived. The box looked ominous (see photo), but somehow the parts are intact. So I put it together (easy). Not cast iron but modestly sturdy. Putting film in it was a little challenging, but I think one could get the hang of it easy enough. The first time I did it with my eyes open, the second time with eyes closed. The film was in correctly even with eyes closed. Promising.

So, the proof will be in the pudding. I will process 6 sheets of 5x7" Arista EDU 400 in 1:2:100 pyrocat-mc as I normally do with 4x5 film in rotary processing: 11 minutes at 72 degrees fahrenheit and see what happens, and report back.

Name:	IMG_5376.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	174355

Name:	IMG_5379.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	174356

Name:	IMG_5380.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	174357
    David Aimone Photography

I decided before processing the real thing (important negatives), I'd use those six disposable 5x7 sheets to do a shortened run through. I used a couple of water changes, starting with 800ml, then 700 ml, no red cap on. Findings are as follows:

a) sheets stayed in place well.
    b) tank easy to fill and empty
    c) no leakage (I was the most worried about this since the top isn't on quite as securely as the one on my JOBO)
    d) without the red cap, 800ml is pushing it, as it's almost full enough to come out the opening. 700 or less is fine, and I think that's enough to process six 5x7's (Sandy King estimates 90ml/5x7 so there's wiggle room).

As far as the 300ml they say is needed for 5x7 rotary processing? Beside the capability of the developer to handle it, I'm skeptical that it would cover the film well all the way. I'm thinking at least the JOBO stated minimum of 560ml, but who knows? I'm not going to test that. I've been using 800ml for 8 4x5" sheets, so 700ml for 6 5x7's is even a bit of a reduction for me, but Sandy King's suggestion is at least 540ml for 6 5x7's, so I hope I'm good.

When the tank and reel dry out, I reload the reel with the "real" thing and get back to you.
    David Aimone Photography

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    a) sheets stayed in place well.
    David, thank you for reporting your initial thoughts on this reel. I was curious if the film might shift around in the reel when I first saw these on the auction site. From the results of your first test, it looks like the reel will work fine. I have a few 2550 tanks, so I think I will just order the reel for the time being.

I have really enjoyed my Catlabs CL-81, which I assume they based this model on. It works very well to quickly process a couple sheets of 8x10 film. It will be great to have a similar option for 5x7 film.

Harold

Developing six as I type, in the fixer. So far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David Aimone Photography

Developing went great; negatives look good. When they dry I'll scan and report if any uneven development, and my recommendations for these products, pros and cons...

Name:	IMG_5385.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	174363
    David Aimone Photography

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    Just two videos showing a bit more wobble in the Poilot tank (both are empty)
    Wobble is good. I modified my roller to add wobble to help the chemistry blend, move around a bit.

Thanks for the review, David.