Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nor Cal, So Cal, Fire and smoke!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Nor Cal, So Cal, Fire and smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    And the Federal Government's response is?????
    9:15 p.m. Federal aid for Sonoma County residents: The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Sonoma County residents whose homes or businesses have been damaged or destroyed can apply for federal disaster aid to help cover their losses. The grants, which do not have to be repaid, are for temporary housing, essential home repairs, and property losses not covered by insurance. The Small Business Administration is making low-interest loans available for businesses of any size, nonprofits, homeowners and renters for losses not covered by insurance. FEMA said other counties and possibly other types of assistance would be made available in the near future.

Thomas

Remember in 1997 LIFE magazine photographer Peter Stackpole lost almost all of his 60 years of negatives and chromes to the Oakland Hills fire. He also lost his home as did many others.
    I wonder if those with photo collections, film or digital in these current fires have any protection for them?

Either way the area is a major disaster. Whole neighborhoods wiped out. So many folks dead. All they need now is the return of the massive rainstorms and then a big earthquake and the Okies will be moving back to Oklahoma.

Or, as one wag joked - I hope Trump waits to deport all the illegal aliens til after they clean up the mess and rebuild the houses.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Remember in 1997 LIFE magazine photographer Peter Stackpole lost almost all of his 60 years of negatives and chromes to the Oakland Hills fire. He also lost his home as did many others.
    I wonder if those with photo collections, film or digital in these current fires have any protection for them?

Either way the area is a major disaster. Whole neighborhoods wiped out. So many folks dead. All they need now is the return of the massive rainstorms and then a big earthquake and the Okies will be moving back to Oklahoma.

Or, as one wag joked - I hope Trump waits to deport all the illegal aliens til after they clean up the mess and rebuild the houses.
    Peter Stackpole and I went through the 1991 fire here in the Oakland Hills. We lived about four blocks from each other. The fire crossed over Highway 24 and destroyed Peter's house late morning. He had very little warning and no electricity. By flashlight, he grabbed what negatives he could and packed up his two cars. One car would not start and was abandoned. By noon, his property was ash. We were luckier; the winds and flames subsided in the early evening. We learned the next morning that our house was spared, and were allowed back in the neighborhood two days later. My heart goes out to those dealing with loss from the current fires to the north.

Peter lost most of his negatives, but had a bit of luck. In preparation for an upcoming retrospective exhibition early in 1992, a very large collection of his photographs was in storage at the Oakland Museum. He never rebuilt.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The current air quality where I live is "good" - PM reading is 23 - and the best it's been since last Sunday. Its forecast to go back to "unhealthy" tomorrow so I have all the windows open to exchange the air in the apartment while the good air is available. Although the fires are still going, it's been a good day overall in NorCal and there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Thomas

We have a couple new fires up in the Mad River watershed -- I am only 6 miles from the coast and the fires are way up in the upper part of the watershed. The town of Mad River may not fair too well.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Stay safe, Vaughn!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The fires are way too far up in the watershed to endanger Blue Lake -- but they could get into the Yolla Bollys which have taken a few big hits over the years since I worked there...the worst in 2008...makes backpacking up there difficult.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I was evacuated in Napa, fire came within a couple of blocks. I feel very lucky and sad for those who weren't so lucky.

Drew Wiley

The air temporarily cleared here; but the pillar of smoke to the north looks like an A-bomb mushroom cloud at the moment. Evidently, the fires are far from contained.

Cleared of smoke particles, but still considered unhealthy yesterday. I heard there are a lot of micro-particles in the air that one does not see -- plastics and other strange chemicals from burnt houses and businesses. Great time for me to be in the Bay Area! Reminds of the good old days in LA -- growing up in the 60s with smog alerts.