B&W: In January of 1973 when I was a student at RIT, I started shooting 8x10 film. That winter and spring studied the Zone System under Nile Root and with the help of George DeWolfe. Started out with using the ZONE SYSTEM MANUAL by Minor White but quickly turned to photography: CONTROL & CREATIVITY by Bollman and DeWolfe. Over the next few years used calibration methods as described in the Handbook for Contemporary Photography by Arnold Gassan. Over the following years did the calibration tests many times over when films and papers were discontinued. Finally exposed my last piece (from my stash) of 8x10 Super-XX in the early 1990s. From around the year 2000 to maybe 2015, did little LF photography. Then got back into shooting sheet film again - 4x5 up to 11x14. Favorite format to shoot with has always been Whole Plate. In 2016 started to print exclusively Platinum/Palladium for negatives. Very quickly converted to making Digital negatives... the cost savings (in materials) of producing prints from calibrated digital negs was no less than immense. Was about to do another Zone System calibration with my now used B&W film Ilford FP-4 Plus, but on reading an article in the now (so missed) VIEWCAMERA magazine process most of my film in Diafine and then scan it. Sometimes when shooting 120 and 4x5 film, process it in Rodinal so I can also print the negatives "conventionally" with my Durst 4x5 enlarger. Next year intend on purchasing a stash of Ilford LF and ULF film to last me till when...

Color: Over the years have shot thousands of 4x5 Chromes. Most commercially and many using a Nikon Multiphot for personal photomicrography work. In the outdoors shot many, many rolls of 120 chromes for personal work (4x5 film and processing was getting out of hand). Printed on Ilfordchrome till just after 2012 when it was discontinued. Had enough of paper and chemistry to last me a bit longer. Did a comparison of a few scanned 6x7 chromes (made by me with an Imacon that I had access to at the time) with a few digital files (of the same scenes) from my Nikon D4. Printed 11x14" color digital prints with an EPSON 4900. I honestly subjectively and objectively preferred the prints made with my DSLR. Was teaching Digital Photography on the college level back then so I humbly have to admit that I know what I was doing. So then, with a bit of nostalgic regrets, switched over to shooting exclusive digital for my color work. Do I miss holding and viewing my 4x5 chromes... definitely. Do I miss the bills I had accrued over the years for the color film and processing... not in the least bit.

Am interested in how other FORUM members have evolved in their choice of their shooting media.