Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach users??????

Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach users??????

Has anyone -- other than me -- used a Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach, or similar mirror device (I think Beseler made one) to project an image on a wall with enlargers that don't flip? I'm sure this has been discussed before. It's worked for me. Any pros and cons from users?

The Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach that I use is a front surface mirror with a series 7 thread, so it was easy to adapt to MOST of my lenses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiratonemirror.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	170144

Re: Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach users??????

Beseler enlargers do flip to project an image directly in front of them.
    This device was sold to be able to candidly take a picture at a right angle to the camera. While I was a product manager for Beseler enlargers we did not offer these. Argraph might have as well as Voss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Beseler enlargers do flip to project an image directly in front of them.
    I'm lucky enough to have a Beseler MXII that does flip, but my Beseler CB7 does not, hence my use of the Mirrotach -- which, as you point out, was designed for use on-camera. I've also used a lot of enlargers that don't flip, so many people might think that their only option is a wide-angle lens.

Do you have any info on the similar products that Beseler -- or others -- offered? I'm happy with the Mirrotach, but other devices might be easier, flexible, etc. The Mirrotach rotates which makes it easy to use -- and they are pretty cheap to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have a Beseler MXII that does flip, but my Beseler CB7 does not, hence my use of the Mirrotach -- which, as you point out, was designed for use on-camera. I've also used a lot of enlargers that don't flip, so many people might think that their only option is a wide-angle lens.

Do you have any info on the similar products that Beseler -- or others -- offered? I'm happy with the Mirrotach, but other devices might be easier, flexible, etc. The Mirrotach rotates which makes it easy to use -- and they are pretty cheap to buy!
    Sorry no, they have not been available for many decades and while I was in the photo industry from 1970 till 2015 I never saw them sold new as a camera store item during that time. I remember them from selling photo retail in the late 50s and the 60s.

Interesting thought, but using this device for projection printing would throw an image onto some wall or something that's not aligned...

Maybe OK for some poster print, but not for normal to critical printing where even edge to edge sharpness is expected...

Steve K

Of course, it has to be aligned, but that is true if you are projecting onto the baseboard or the floor -- and easy to do by scratching an "X" on an over-exposed piece of film and checking the corners of the projected image.

OK, here is the scoop. Although I use a Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach, Beseler made a "Wall Projection Attachment" (Cat. No. 8247) for the CB7 -- which is non-flipping. It probably only attches to the CB7 -- which has four, small screw holes -- two on each side of the lensboard standard. My Beseler 45 MX II does not have these holes, but perhaps other Beseler enlargers do. These holes are undoubtedly where the #8247 is attached. Beseler states it has a front surface mirror, just like the Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach, but I can't find a picture of one. Beseler also made a long focusing cable so that you can focus the enlarger while being close to the mural. Most CB7 enlargers, unlike mine, have auto-focus. So if you want to make LARGE prints, there are at least two devices that can help. The Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach is inexpensive, easy to find, and adapt. The #8247? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    OK, here is the scoop. Although I use a Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach, Beseler made a "Wall Projection Attachment" (Cat. No. 8247) for the CB7 -- which is non-flipping. It probably only attches to the CB7 -- which has four, small screw holes -- two on each side of the lensboard standard. My Beseler 45 MX II does not have these holes, but perhaps other Beseler enlargers do. These holes are undoubtedly where the #8247 is attached. Beseler states it has a front surface mirror, just like the Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach, but I can't find a picture of one. Beseler also made a long focusing cable so that you can focus the enlarger while being close to the mural. Most CB7 enlargers, unlike mine, have auto-focus. So if you want to make LARGE prints, there are at least two devices that can help. The Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach is inexpensive, easy to find, and adapt. The #8247? Not so much.
    The CB7 did not have autofocus. It had remote, manual electric focus, by pressing the switches on the front edge of the base board. If it had AF it would have had to use a cam system.
    Beseler offered a flexible rod that attached to the focusing wheel to facilitate focusing when the head was very high.

Upon the rare occasion there are used process camera lenses with attached right-angle reflectors.
    Unless they have been damaged they are very good.

[QUOTE=Bob Salomon;1408667]The CB7 did not have autofocus. It had remote, manual electric focus, by pressing the switches on the front edge of the base board. /QUOTE]

You're correct, but many users and web sites call it "auto-focus". Beseler called it "power focus" since you use a toggle switch to change focus, instead of a knob. Since I'm completely at home using a knob, I don't mind the fact that my CB7 didn't come with "power focus".

Leica used a somewhat similar system on one of its enlargers. When you changed the height/magnification it adjusted the lens/bellows extension accordingly.