Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help solving film holder light reflection

Re: Help solving film holder light reflection

I guess I'm not seeing it. Do you mean the light reflects from the edge of the film holder, skips a few millimeters and then exposes the film? I'd check the camera. If the film holder is edge is 2mm and your fog starts 2mm from the edge of the film holder, the light is striking from a 45 degree angle from some place in the camera. You should be able to find it.

OK, but it does look a little broad to be just an internal reflection, as it would take a larger surface to reflect enough to create that much fogging (and a bright one at that)...

But in your overall search, you can try to put your camera in a darkened room with either the lens on/shutter open, or leave a cut-out lensboard on, remove the GG panel and/or back, and have someone or a stand with a very bright flashlight or photo light, and view through the back while the light is just off-axis shining towards the front lens or hole, and see if any plane inside the camera has a bright glow that might be reflecting towards the film... You can apply some felt or other non-reflective material or paint there, but if the area is not a real "hot" spot, I doubt it could reflect enough to create the type of density you have there (I think it would almost take something shiny in the camera to do that)...

So you are certain there is no loading/film storage issues??? I still think there's a leak somewhere...

Happy Hunting!!!

Steve K

Reverse the camera back so you load the holder from the side opposite the light source. Be sure to put the slide in straight, not one corner first which will open the light trap.

Nathan Lambrecht

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Do you mean the light reflects from the edge of the film holder, skips a few millimeters and then exposes the film?
    That is correct, I will try to shoot and link to a video tomorrow. It is odd, but only occurs when a bright light is near the edge of the frame.

Nathan,

I'm going to put my money on a pinhole or other small light leak as well. After carefully looking at your photos and thinking about it a lot, I rather think it is not attributable to reflections from an edge of the film holder. In the past, I have had lines of extra density on the negative, parallel to the 45°-angle edge on the face of the filmholder. These I figured were coming from the 45°-angle edge on the filmholder and, indeed, a little sanding fixed the problem. Comparing my marks with yours: mine were very thin and long and had nothing in them that looked like "image," i.e., no detail, just added density. Your problem is a lot broader and has detail, plus, it is not taking up most of the length of the negative, rather is limited to a smaller area, like that that would be projected by a pinhole.

I'd check the bellows, of course, using a bare bulb inside the camera with the bellows extended all the way as well as the camera back, the seat and the holder itself. I've had a holder or two that needed to have the small slot between top and sides filled because they were leaking light a bit.

Good luck finding your problem,

Doremus

I'd put my money on a light leak vs reflection off holders. I've never seen this with any of my old, or newer 4x5 or 8x10 holders. Only time I had problems was a bellows pinhole in a Wista 4x5. ymmv but I'd also be looking at the fit of the back or bellows to the rear standard vs film holder reflections.

Hope this can be figured out.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Nathan Lambrecht

So today I made a quick video to perhaps better explain what is going on and demonstrate my findings. You can find the video on Vimeo here:

Once again this is a rare problem, only showing its' ugly head a few times out of a lot of negatives, but that it exists bugs me.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to make suggestions, additional suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Nathan

**Edit - wow, videos embed!! Wonderful!!**

That demonstration appears to lend some plausibility to your theory. Seems like Ben Horne feels he had a similar issue with Fidelity holders. See around the 1:30 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNA1jvAFUUQ

Bob