Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogen 3021 Repair, Can help me identify this issue?

Bogen 3021 Repair, Can help me identify this issue?

So I got a Bogen 3021 complete with head, albeit missing the hexplate, for an okay price. It has 2 problems. First, it's missing a plastic knob on a springed rod, and without that grip, I cannot adjust the tightness of the head's attachment (I think that's what it's for). The second problem is that it the head has minor tilting play at the base, only on a specific axis. I'll include a picture with directional arrows to show where.

I've only been able to find one defunct-looking website for replacement parts. Can anyone direct me to a better place for repair? Or has anyone had this loose head problem that I seem to be having? The tripod itself is in fine condition, and I'd really like to put it to use, as my fotopro has the weight limit but not the stability to use with LF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluered.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	149562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green_no_play-red_play.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	149561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Missing cap.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	149563

Legend:
    Green lines mean no play along that axis, red lines mean play along that axis.
    The blue circle is to highlight where exactly the instability seems to be rooted. It appears that the shifting takes place where the tripod's central shaft is held by the tripod base.
    The red circle surrounds the pin or rod with the missing cap. I suspect it is meant to tighten or loosen the base. I cannot turn it by hand, I've tried.

Please ignore my clearly mismatched socks.

Re: Bogen 3021 Repair, Can help me identify this issue?

Just contact Manfrotto.

The spring loaded levers do tend to disappear especially when hiking. And I have a vague recollection that the part is no longer available. Without locking the center column down it is going to wander all over the place. Let me know if you can't find a new part I think I bought a couple spares after I lost mine the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    The spring loaded levers do tend to disappear especially when hiking. And I have a vague recollection that the part is no longer available. Without locking the center column down it is going to wander all over the place. Let me know if you can't find a new part I think I bought a couple spares after I lost mine the first time.
    If only I could borrow one from someone, I could probably make a mold or something.

Isn't that just the screw that holds the center post? It's not an elevator mechanism in a 3021, being pointed directly at the post, so all it really needs is a knob. I think the thread is 5mm, or maybe 6mm, and probably all you need is a knob on a 5mm or 6mm screw shaft. That should be easy to get from a number of sources, including better hardware stores, mcmaster.com, or Manfrotto themselves.

Grabbing the spot for the missing knob with pliers, and tightening it down snugs down all the wobbles, right?
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Grabbing the spot for the missing knob with pliers, and tightening it down snugs down all the wobbles, right?[/QUOTE]

+1 pliers work

I gave it a twist with pliers and it didn't budge. I stopped trying to turn it out of fear that I'd strip the ridges on the end. Tried pushing it in, as it seems you can depress it. No luck there either.

Also gave a look at the play on the tripod head. It appears to be moving right where the base, where you screw in the tripod head, is attached to the central column. The central column is solid. Still can't raise or lower it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knob.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	149577 Here's a closer look.

I've been looking for mine for months so I don't have one in hand. From memory, if the thing won't twist clockwise, then the center column is locked and won't go up and down. The spring does nothing but push out on the handle (which you are missing) so you ignore it at this point. Don't damage it or a new lever you get will just fall off.

Once you unlock the center column by turning it counter clockwise (should not take much, maybe a quarter turn) run the column up and out of the tripod. You may have to pull off the rubber cap at the bottom of the pipe first, note that it has a nub on the plastic that mates with a hole in the bottom of the center column. Then look at the bottom side of the collar that is the bottom of the mount for the head. You will see set screws that lock that piece to the bottom plate of whatever head you have on there. If these aren't all tight, you will get wobble, or even spinning.

As I said, if you can't order a new lever let me know.

You haven't asked, but here's a word of warning. That octagonal quick release plate has a habit of false latching as many have discovered -- too late. You can set the camera in there, it looks pretty close to level, the thing snaps and the locking lever moves. Only problem is the plate isn't actually fully seated because it is slightly up on one end and not fully locked. Later versions of quick release heads for the Bogen/Manfratto line were squarish plates without this tendency. So make sure before you let go of the camera that it is on there flat (eyeball it straight on) then give it a tug in a couple directions.

I used that head and tripod for many years, and other than weight for long hikes was very satisfied with the combination for 4X5 and 5X7.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I've been looking for mine for months so I don't have one in hand. From memory, if the thing won't twist clockwise, then the center column is locked and won't go up and down. The spring does nothing but push out on the handle (which you are missing) so you ignore it at this point. Don't damage it or a new lever you get will just fall off.

As I said, if you can't order a new lever let me know.

You haven't asked, but here's a word of warning. That octagonal quick release plate has a habit of false latching as many have discovered -- too late. You can set the camera in there, it looks pretty close to level, the thing snaps and the locking lever moves. Only problem is the plate isn't actually fully seated because it is slightly up on one end and not fully locked. Later versions of quick release heads for the Bogen/Manfratto line were squarish plates without this tendency. So make sure before you let go of the camera that it is on there flat (eyeball it straight on) then give it a tug in a couple directions.

I used that head and tripod for many years, and other than weight for long hikes was very satisfied with the combination for 4X5 and 5X7.
    Yeah, the I had the octagonal plate falsely lock once. I caught it before I put the camera on without my support. Ever since then I've been very careful. I actually have two of these heads, because I bought the 229 for my fotopro c5i. Problem with the c5i is that its central column is just not sturdy enough to carry a 4x5 monorail, which is strange considering its weight limit is actually above the 3021 (at least according to the manual). There's a little bit of wobble, no matter how tight the lock is set. The legs are also way too skinny, with tiny feet that do not provide proper support.

A little bit of research shows that it is unlikely I will be able to replace the lever with a new one, as my model is a pre-1999 one. http://www.bogentripodparts.com/3021identification.htm
    I may have to take a mold of the end of the pin and then make my own.

There's one other problem I'd like to mention:

One of the legs is loose along its plane. The other legs are soft-locked. They can be moved toward or away from the center, up to the base locked position, with resistance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	travel.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	149592

The lever is, indeed, no longer available. I saw an article that described removing the rod, filing down the ears and used a die to thread it. Then screwing on a suitable plastic knob.