Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite contact printing paper?

Re: Favorite contact printing paper?

I also recommend that you begin by using variable contrast enlarging paper for contact prints because dodging and burning with contacts is much more hit-and-miss than with an enlarger, so variable contrast is very useful.

Even with a big stash of Azo/Lodima I will share with you that the expediency and efficiency of producing results has steered me to using warm tone glossy Ilford multi grade for contact printing under my Durst 138 with the assistance of a 180mm Nikkor lens and an Ilford 500H multi contrast light head on a regular basis. The combination of being able to mix PDQ Universal from concentrate (i.e. be set up to print in a couple of minutes) and have the flexibility to tweek the delivered contrast via the electronic paper grade controller is just excellent. I find that the time I spend in the darkroom is in defined blocks of time and I enjoy being able to efficiently get the results in short order. I use the same head and set up for 8x20 and 11x14 contact prints with just raising the head and shortening the bellows. The lens is only an illumination control device once I obtain sufficient coverage. I really like the results produced. I will readily admit that an Azo print executed to an optimal degree is at the top of the heap. But the compromise is becoming progressively smaller and quite in line with the desire to produce a high quality print beyond contact print proportions. Luminance in a print is a quality that I feel can be embraced on a scale of 1-10 at a 9.2 as readily as it can at a 9.7 value unless the viewer is really nit picking particularly when the other variables in the process (film resolution, film processing chosen film developer and processing techniques and photographers skills) are taken into consideration. Sometimes as photographers we can get hung up on the process and the nuances of the darkroom and we forget the value of the image itself.

I'm still in the Azo/Amidol camp....
    If you are fortunate enough to get your hands on some Azo, there is the Azo forum located at:
    http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/html/Azo_Main.html
    Tons of useful information on both Azo and Lodima.