Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CLS 301 Restoration

Re: CLS 301 Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm probably not looking in the right place, but were would one find a MR16 LED to match the ELH output of 300W? And why, when ELH is less than $10.

Sorry, I really have no idea where to by the LED equipment, because I have no need thistime.
    If my EST will give up, I could switch to my condenser type Durst enlarger.

But if I'm not totally wrong, Watt stands for energy and not for illumination.
    Maybe this is the reason for Mr. Heiland or people in this forum building bigger LED heads with LED's probably found in the right place.

I'd still use an external fan when printing regardless just to keep things "cool". I use it on my SM-183 condenser head even when using bulbs smaller than 300 watt. I also use a dimmer on the bulbs to lower output. It's cheap insurance. Only time I don't turn it on is when using the cold-light head in place of one condensor. L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I also use a dimmer on the bulbs to lower output. It's cheap insurance.
    Yes i do the same with my condenser type, and the older opal bulb lasts longer.
    They need 220V, but since a longer time we get 240V, which causes old bulbs to become a sputnik.

hi Jp
    have you ever found the wiring diagram of this transformer?
    I too would need it badly. Mine is out of order and I don't know how to fix my problem. Thank you very much

Drew Wiley

Going way back to a comment I failed to answer five years ago, I not only own one of these setups but have fully reconditioned it. I already explained that on the first page of this thread, way back. These came with an internal fan right behind the light mixing box. A secondary external fan would essentially be a booster, or else a makeshift replacement if the internal fan were no longer functional. Perhaps some units were sold without an internal fan already in place, which is too bad, since the internal version is far quieter and more efficient than an external booster.

I greatly simplified things by totally bypassing the original transformer and power supply. Since the units being marketed in the US were dual voltage, with everything running on standard 115V except the fan, I simply split the circuits and hard-rewired them for their respective line voltages, since I already have both 115 and 230 V outlets in the darkroom. No problems. But if rewired for direct current (all you really need is a continuity tester), then it's simply a matter of matching the bulbs to the specific line voltage. No fancy electronics needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I greatly simplified things by totally bypassing the original transformer and power supply.
    I'm not sure if I'd recommend removing the transformer unless a dedicated 1:1 separation transformer is fitted to the device in its stead.

Btw, 'rewiring for direct current' is a bit of an awkward formulation; I assume you're still running the unit at AC and not DC, but you mean you hooked it up directly to your wall outlets, bypassing its power supply. As said, this isn't good practice and I wouldn't recommend it.

Drew Wiley

Lots have people have rewired them, Koraks, bypassing troublesome old power supplies. In fact, my incoming utility voltage is even better regulated than a secondary device would do it. I did that even with my first Durst, which was an older 2000W unit. Saved me hundreds of dollars and innumerable headaches. And of course, it's alternating current. DC hasn't been used in utility lines since the time Thomas Edison was personally alive, and lost most his business to Westinghouse, the father of AC.

I don't need all the bells n' whistles of a master control box in this case. I already have other enlargers loaded with electronic features, and although I do have real uses for all that, it's also what is most problem prone. A Durst CLS 301 is more like a refurbished old military tank. You just want it to keep running without any unnecessary fuss.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 15-Oct-2022 at 17:08.

It's not about bells & whistles or quality of line regulation. It's a safety issue. The industry pretty much stopped making non-isolated equipment decades ago with the exception fo some plastic-cased adapters, but even these (eg phone chargers) generally have galvanic isolation too, these days. There's a reason for this, you know. I have no doubt it works what you did. I still would NOT recommend it.

The days of the filaments of Philips PL-series valves out in series straight on the line voltage in consumer radios to economize on a smallish power transformer are long gone; I'm sure that's actually a sign of progress.

Drew Wiley

The relevant ELH direct 115V bulbs for the colorheads which were marketed here are still abundant. Generic step down transformers to 115 or 120 are also readily available if one needs that kind of thing. As far as re-wiring, I'm confident I've done it even better than the original. I use true high temp truck engine wire. I go overboard on safety. Please keep in mind there are plenty of people on forums like this with some kind or another of serious shop or industrial skills. I've outright made colorheads way larger and more sophisticated than a CLS301; it's a piece of cake to restore, comparatively.

Regardless if the wire you use, you're running a piece of metal equipment that you're physically intimate with whenever you work with it without any means of galvanic isolation. This is not a light bulb in an armature suspended from the ceiling. Anyway, I'll leave it at this; I'm glad you're still among us. I sure have done a lot of stupid stuff in my life too; fortunately for us we usually get away with it.