Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW AirBnB possibilitiies -- Maybe???

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: NEW AirBnB possibilitiies -- Maybe???

I thought this wasn't for you. You seem to be advertising your place. I'm confused.

I'm not advertising anything. I don't know how you got that idea. I'm just suggesting an idea to others.

I have nothing to with AirBnB, AirTHC, booze, pot, or anything.

All I'm doing it trying to BRAINSTORM with colleagues.

I'd go the opposite way. I used to do darkroom work all night, and final washing and setting prints up to dry and cleaning up took till dawn sometimes. So rent your bedroom out instead to normal people while you're not using it. And perhaps sell a print to them.

Some have opined that the LFPF forum has deteriorated. This thread gives proof to their concerns. What, I ask, does this have to do with large format photography? Perhaps better placed in the Lounge.

Airbnb trialled this in Queenstown. You can go on beekeeping tours among others. It is not easy to be accepted by them, they will do due diligence, and they take 30% commission if my memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    What, I ask, does this have to do with large format photography? Perhaps better placed in the Lounge.
    If I am doing it -- whatever "IT" is -- to make a profit, many (and perhaps most), includeing the IRS will consider it a business.

If I'm offering LF instruction, gear and darkroom facilities, for a fee -- it has EVERYTHING to do with business and LF photography -- and this forum.

Many people -- all over the place -- make some, much, most, or all of their income from AirBnB -- and other similar methods, such as UBER -- whether or not alcohol, tobacco, dope, beekeeping, and/or darkrooms are involved. It's difficult to watch the local TV NEWS out here without them constantly reporting on the crazy rents, home and hotel prices -- and how many people are making LOTS of money using AirBnB, etc. -- especially from out-of-Staters, of course. Whether they come here to ski, hike, smoke grass, take pictures, or "D" all the above, is irrelevant. They are coming here, have cash in their pockets, and a lot of choices as to where to stay.

If you don't like the discussion or don't want to participate -- then don't -- but it has every reason to be discussed here.

I'm not advocating that anyone do anything, but I know that there are LOTS of people around the country that are interested in photography and willing to hand over a lot of cash to stay for a while in my beautiful State. Why shouldn't I jump on the bandwagon? My having additional amenities, such as analog and digital darkrooms, tons of photography books, 50 years of experience, tons of maps of the entire State where dope is legal make it seem like a no-brainer to me.

P.S. As always, my friends and relatives come here and stay for free -- and some of them make use of my photographic amenities.

Sounds as though there ARE possibilities. Perhaps not for tue current thread contributors, but this does sound like an opportunity for someone to offer space and amenities for niche interests. Finding that niche and the good fit for what people will pay for is the trick.

AirBnB (orAir- WhoEver) is another way to rteach out with an offer . . .another way of advertising . Any of the workshop vernues styartted small and used magazine advertising to grow. WHO reads magazines any more?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Someone should try it and let us know what the possibilities really are. talk is interesting but talk is cheap.

For me... I'd rather stay in a cheap motel than bunk on somebody's couch... or guest room.

But however the lodging works out, Colorado is a great place to visit and photograph. Dope is more of a detractor to me than an atttraction. Now, offer me a good chile slopper and a cold beer... and maybe I'd be more attracted.

Regarding magazines... I don't read them but I do look at the pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Finding that niche and the good fit for what people will pay for is the trick.
    That's where AirBnB comes in. If someone in Massachusetts is checking out vacation possibilities, I would be EASY to find, and AirBnB takes care of the details -- such as chile and beer, and the view of the Rockies out my back door:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goathill.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	170539

That's pretty!

Whenever I've stayed at "traditional " Bed and Breakfasts it has been specifically to either stay in a vintage/historic home or to be exactly in the town/area I'm interested in photographing. The drive from Denver (I'm assuming your on the West side of the city from that picture) could be promising. Now I'm thinking... a clean bed and comfortable room might be an option...especially if you'd loan me some gear so I don't have to schlepp my own and a ride to some nice locations...

How much would you estimate for an off-season weekend?