Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW AirBnB possibilitiies -- Maybe???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NEW AirBnB possibilitiies -- Maybe???

I just saw on the NEWS that AirBnB has discovered a new way for them to expand their business.

AirBnB, in case you don't know, is a website that connects property owners with short or long-term renters. It can be anything from an entire house to a room in a house to an apartment to a shed. People rent out space for a day, a weekend, a month, or whatever they want. And yes, it is important to be careful renting to people you don't know.

AirBnB has learned the need to expand, in part, because of their experience in Colorado -- where there is now AirTHC. It's the same thing as AirBnB, but because it is private property, it is legal (in Colorado) to smoke marijuana -- so renters are willing to spend more. So AirBnB has decided to encourage AirBnB "hosts" to offer other special activities, events, services, etc. -- things that renters can't get at a hotel. For example, an AirBnB host that lives next to a popular birding or hiking area can offer hikes, binoculars, bird books and information to the renters.

Me? I have an empty bed room and a complete darkroom in my basement. Most of the time they just sit there. Why not offer an AirBnB room to photographers who want to photograph Colorado and have access to a free darkroom -- with a stereo? AND marijuana?

It's not something I'm going to explore anytime soon, but it's an opportunity for sure -- and maybe for you!

Any thoughts? Since I live in the house, I'm not worried about loss, plus I can throw in tech support.

Re: NEW AirBnB possibilitiies -- Maybe???

Liability when some renter gets into a vehicle accident, hurts someone and tests positive for Pot? Then it comes to light you advertise they can smoke it there if they rent from you. Sure, it is legal but I bet attorneys will line up to go after everyone involved, including your enticement to rent and smoke.
    Last edited by Willie; 5-Oct-2017 at 11:30.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I think having a darkroom might be an obscure attraction. You'd have to market it a bit more... grease some wheels at any local arts schools/workshop teachers, put it in your tagline here and apug and do some social media, etc... If you don't have a work schedule, you could probably be a tour guide for photographers as well. Photographers would appreciate the local expertise.

As for pot, I appreciate the freedom your state shows on matters like that politically, but would never stay at a place that was for smokers of any sort. Cigarette smoke irritates my sinuses, pot smoke does that and gives me a headache too. Heavy duty cleaning chemicals do the same...

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    As for pot, I appreciate the freedom your state shows on matters like that politically, but would never stay at a place that was for smokers of any sort. Cigarette smoke irritates my sinuses, pot smoke does that and gives me a headache too. Heavy duty cleaning chemicals do the same...
    How do you tolerate stop bath?

I never had this much fun on this forum. And I do enter the thread to find out about it since I am about to start renting in Bucharest.
    What is the fuss abut smoking pot either? Marijuana is like non-alcoholic beer for a darkroom buff.
    AirMeth would be awful though.

I would say your total market, defined by you, is about nine people.

The ability for you to sell them is 0%.

Foamer

Personally, I wouldn't want dopers in my house. I have a few valuable collectible cameras lying about.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't want dopers in my house. I have a few valuable collectible cameras lying about.

Kent in SD
    More power to SD, but the majority of voters in Colorado (I won't lists the other states) don't seem as concerned. We all must be "Rocky Mountain High"!

Just a couple of points.

If a hotel rents a room to someone who goes out and gets drunk and drives and causes an accident, the hotel is not in any way responsible.

Second, you have NO idea how many rooms and houses are being rented out through Airbnb in Colorado -- let alone AirTHC. And you have no idea how much $$$ people are making. Even I am shocked. People can't smoke dope in hotels. It is legal in homes. AirBnB-ers are getting hundreds of dollars per weekend per room -- within driving distance of mountain hiking, great sports teams, National Parks, ETC.

I'm not a business man, but it seems like a LOT of -- basically -- free money to me.

I'm not saying it is for everyone. I might be in an unusual situation -- an empty bedroom, an empty darkroom, lots of photo gear, a state where pot is legal, beautiful terrain and activities. But don't blame me!