Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Pro DPI Limitations

Scitex Eversmart Pro DPI Limitations

Good Morning,

I need the expert assistance of all you Eversmart Pro users. I recently acquired an Eversmart Pro running the Scitex 2.5.1 software. After calibration, the first few test scans look great. Problem is, the maximum DPI setting in the software is 2540. I was under the impression the Pro series had a maximum DPI of 3150. I have fiddled with the settings (No software manual) thinking something within the software was limiting the dpi. No success. I am operating blind at this point and am hoping someone has a suggestion or two or at least software documentation that may be helpful.

I much appreciate your time.

Maddie

Re: Scitex Eversmart Pro DPI Limitations

I've never used the ES Pro beyond the 2540 dpi limit, but a while back I was told you could get more out of it by using the zoom/magnification slider.
    I'm sure Pali and others will give much better replies, but you can start by playing with that function.

Hi Ari,

Thank you so much for your response. I have not yet fiddled with the zoom/magnification slider. You can be sure it will be the first thing I try this evening.

Thanks again!

My pleasure, Maddie.
    I also found this in an old email: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...scanners-kodak
    It's the ES Pro User Guide; there may be some more useful information in there.

And more good news from my email archives, a quote from forum member Pali K:

The software is misleading because the software itself is maxing at 2450 DPI not the scanner.
    In order to get the full 3175 DPI, you simply need to set your DPI to 2450 and change the enlargement to 129%.
    You can set the enlargement upto 8200 DPI but anything over 3175 will be interpolated.

There you go! Glad I kept some of these old emails.

Ari - You are a hero! Not sure how often I would use the full 3175 dpi, but it was bugging the heck out of me. Thank you also for the link. I believe I read somewhere (most likely on this forum) that the software was not very intuitive. I have to agreed. Still, I am loving this machine and greatly appreciate your assistance.

Maddie,

You may even be able to get a bit more resolution than 3175 depending on how clean the lense and mirror is in the unit. If everything is working as is, I wouldn't recommend tinkering with anything since it can be a very complex process.

Btw, an easier way to change DPI is to just type over the setting using your number keys It's not intuitive at all but works perfectly fine.

Also as FYI, I have a quick color negative scanning tutorial with this scanner on my blog at http://www.analogfilm.camera

Enjoy your scanner. It's a stunning machine that competes with high end drum scanners but learning the software can be a painful experience.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Pali

Maddie, I owe it all to Pali; he really helped me a lot when I first got the ES Pro.
    Pali, thanks for the link to the tutorial, it's great to have as another resource.

Good Morning! Looks like I now have two Heroes! Thank you Pali for jumping in. I did read your article a couple days ago while lurking about the internet in an attempt to find an answer. Well written and very informative - thank you for your efforts and willingness to share them.

I have printed out the manual from the link provided by Ari and have already found it very useful. My scanning experience is limited to a Nikon and a very, very old Screen drum scanner. Compared to the drum scanner, this unit is an absolute joy!

There still are a couple things I need to sort out. First, what are you guys using for film masks? My unit came with a couple sets of 35 mm masks of which I have no use (if anyone would want these, please contact me and I would be happy to send them your way). So far, I have used black construction paper to block out the light - not very scientific but that is what I had on hand. Second, given the amount of dust and scratches that appeared on my first scan, I may want to try oil mounting. I am guessing this is possible if I tape off a "tray" on the glass and proceed carefully so as not to flood the area. Am I way off on this assumption? Hopefully, this doesn't sound incredibly naive. I know they made a special oil mounting platform but I suspect those are extremely rare to come by so DIY it is...

Again, thank you both for your time, expertise and willingness to share. It is greatly appreciated!

M

Maddie, I don't think the ES Pro is made for wet scanning; I seem to recall Michael Streeter at Genesis telling me as much a couple years ago.
    And you can buy masks from Michael, I think they're $40/ea. but don't quote me on that.
    If it's possible, I'd look at cutting your 35mm masks into the formats you need, i.e., cut the 35mm slots into one 8x10 area.
    You can use the 8x10 cut-out for 4x5 and 5x7 as well as 120.
    Search recent threads for the ES Pro, one from not too long ago was asking about mask material.
    Keep us posted.

I wasn't too sure if wet scanning was a viable option - or one that is even necessary. That said, if I can't wet scan the negatives, my only other option in an effort to limit the amount of dust would be to improve my housekeeping skills. Looks like I'm going to learn to appreciate dust specs. Adding to my list of research....masks and dust remediation. Again, thank you both for sharing your knowledge - truly a gift!

I'll let you know how things go!
    M