Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Pro DPI Limitations

Re: Scitex Eversmart Pro DPI Limitations

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    BTW, just as a caution make sure the handles are still glued firmly to the scanner glass before you attempt to take the glass out.

Pali
    Sounds like someone has a story to tell?

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Perhaps I am mistaken but my understanding is that the glass of Eversmart scanners has an anti-reflection coating, and that of the JAZZ scanners is plain glass. You can fluid mount on either surface, but the anti-reflection coating of the Eversmart is very thin and may suffer scratch marks when cleaning the fluid from the glass.

When I worked with the Eversmart Pro I owned two glass beds and used the one with abraded anti-reflection coating for fluid mounting. The fluid basically fills in the scratches on both negatives/transparencies and on the scanner glass. I also owned a fluid mounting station with a glass bed, but did not use it very much since I found it very easy to just fluid mount on the regular glass.

The Eversmart literature that I have seen recommends fluid mounting only with magnification of 8X or more. I personally fluid mounted virtually every negative I scanned since I never saw a drawback in doing so, and in many cases the fluid mount was superior in terms of contrast, grain smoothing and/or eliminating the appearance of dust and debris.

For securing the negative to the glass I used 3-M blue line masking type, same type you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

With regard to the ppi limitation of the Eversmart Pro, it is 3275 ppi, and it is the only scanner I ever tested with a resolution target that actually exceeded the advertised resolution.

Sandy
    Hi Sandy,

You bring up a couple very interesting points. I did notice my scanner glass has very small but visible scratches. I have not yet scanned enough to tell if these scratches are appearing and/or affecting the scans but I imagine they must degrade the picture somewhat due to their proximity to the film. Also, the grain! I could not believe how much grain appeared in the dry scan. I have played with the grain settings in the extended sharpness window and have yet to find the sweet spot. Perhaps fluid mounting may help in this respect as I have never had similar results with my fluid mounted 6x7 negs made via a Nikon scanner.

Maddie

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Michael streeter has them. The mounting station as I recall is in the neighborhood of $1k, the glass panels are more reasonable. Not sure these numbers are correct - just what I sort of remember from talking to him when I got my IQSmart.

Edit

Found the e-mail - he quoted $1k for the mounting station, but he really doesn't think it's necessary

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I originally thought the mounting station was the only "safe" way to fluid mount the negatives onto the scanner. Since then, I have read the manual, and of course, listened to everyone on this forum and now have to agree with the legendary man himself, Micheal - I don't think it is necessary. Still, if I found one within my budget (considerably south of $1k), I would most likely snag it.

Maddie

Even if I found one I wouldn't have any place to put it!!! Unless my wife would let me keep it on top of her Grand piano. Any guesses as to the likelihood of that happening????

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Even if I found one I wouldn't have any place to put it!!! Unless my wife would let me keep it on top of her Grand piano. Any guesses as to the likelihood of that happening????
    Piano-Schmiano. Buy her a banjo and use the extra space for more "important things." Oh, and you might want to hold on to the proceeds from selling the piano in order to pay for the divorce attorney...

Actually she has two full size grand pianos. She was a concert pianist until her hands gave out. And she lets me park my changing tent under one of them so I don't have to set it up every time I need to load film. I think it's because it acts as a bit of a sound absorber and cuts down on unwanted reverberations. But no way I can put anything on top.