Thread: Caltar II N 75mm f4.5

Caltar II N 75mm f4.5

Anyone with experience with this lens? I searched the forum and google and couldn't find much other than it is essentially a Rodenstock grandagon N. Currently i am using a older Schneider 90mm f8 MC that i found for a $100 in like new condition. I want the 75mm f4.5 in hopes that it will be a little brighter for focusing. It will be mounted on a Toy-Field 45 AII The big question is if you have used one how is it to focus and contrast? And I'm going to assume unless its a bad copy that it is going to be tack sharp like all other LF lenses lol.

Re: Caltar II N 75mm f4.5

Personally I'd go for a 65mm optic. Have owned and used a 75mm and a 90mm lens on my 4x5 and I found that they were too much alike. The 65mm, for me, was the next wider angle lens to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Personally I'd go for a 65mm optic. Have owned and used a 75mm and a 90mm lens on my 4x5 and I found that they were too much alike. The 65mm, for me, was the next wider angle lens to go to.
    Greg, i kind of figured they would be very close in focal length. I should note that if the 75mm f4.5 is easer to focus it will more than likely be replacing the 90mm f8. Thank you for your input.

I don't have any experience with this particular lens, but on it's my favorite angle of view--a ~90° diagonal on 4x5. I have one for every format I shoot!

Huub

I do have and use the Nikon SW 4.5 75mm. That lens is quite a bit brighter and easier to focus in comparison to the 6.8 90mm Grandagon i also have.

But be aware: the 75 is quite a bit wider then the 90mm. I felt the 90mm was either to wide or not wide enough in most cases, so i replaced it with the 75mm and a 110mm, which works way better for me in combination with a 150mm and a 240mm. Also: focussing wide angle lenses on field camera is almost an art in itself.

David Schaller

I'm pretty sure I have this lens, but I can't check at the moment. I don't use it often, but when I have I've been very happy with the results. Here's an example.

I have this lens. It's tack sharp and I don't have any problems focusing it.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

loujon

The Caltar II N 75mm f4.5 is the same lens as Rodenstock Grandagon N 75mm f4.5.
    I have the Caltar II N and Rodenstock N version of this lens and they equals in every way w/ exception of the engravings.

Thanks for all of the replies and input guys. I went ahead a purchased the lens from someone local to me for $200. It looks like sat in a camera bag every since it was originally purchased. zero scratches on any part of the lens exterior or interor and the aperture blades and shutter appear to be in perfect working order. Plan to take some photos with it this weekend.