Thread: What should I do with this one?

Cool What should I do with this one?

I have a Wollensak 12 in "multi focal lens, barrel with iris, great big brass lens, in good shape iris marked in even numbers 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 11.7EX.

I was going to use this on a project but it got put in a cabinet and never mounted. Looks like somebody could use it, but I have no clue as to who. (whom?)

Re: What should I do with this one?

Those sound like Universal or 'U.S.' f/stop markings. That system was popular in the early years of the last century, '4'= f/8 as I recall. Not really my cup of tea, but of course there are many antique lens aficionados on this forum. Someone will know its actual age and lens design; and someone will want to use it, I'm sure.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Cunningham View Post
    I have a Wollensak 12 in "multi focal lens, barrel with iris, great big brass lens, in good shape iris marked in even numbers 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 11.7EX.

I was going to use this on a project but it got put in a cabinet and never mounted. Looks like somebody could use it, but I have no clue as to who. (whom?)
    .... one of the "Beach" - modded lenses, it seems.... is it complete? Jim Galli had one once I think, in a shutter. See:
    https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/wollensak-beach-multifocal-series-b.17396/
    Have you not tried it? Put it in the classifieds, if you want to pass it on. Not sure what its worth; I'd probably raise my hand if I could afford another lens to play with lol. ... someone else is bound to.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

The U. S. system of apertures started at 1 (f/4) and doubled for each one stop decrease in exposure. U.S. 4 therefore does equal f/8.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The U. S. system of apertures started at 1 (f/4) and doubled for each one stop decrease in exposure. U.S. 4 therefore does equal f/8.
    Is this correct?

1 - f4
    2 - f5.6
    3 - f?
    4 - f8
    5 - f?
    6 - f?
    7 - f?
    8 - f11
    9 - f?
    10 - f?
    11- f?

Sounds like the crazy system than Schneider used on their M-Componons.

The Uniform Standard (US) system is what Jim said (1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 = f/4 5.6 8 11 16 22 32 45 64). The lens is not marked in US or f/ but in some other kind of system - probably a relative exposure time.

I have an old compound shutter marked in linear numbers as Herb described and mounted in what may be part of a camera for optical experiments. That shutter isn't accessible now, but the numbers may be the aperture diameter in mm.

Put that puppy on a lens board and she what she'll do!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Does is say Series A (soft focus) or Series B (sharp lens) on it?

Sell it on Ebay. Just say that it is rare and collectable and of course in mint condition.