Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter is coming...

Drew Wiley

Re: Winter is coming...

I prefer snowshoes to skis for getting around. It'easier to tamp down fresh snow for a tripod platform, or to maneuver close to subjects such as rocks. The taller the tripod, the better. I prefer my larger wooden Ries, for which I have an optional set of baskets for the spike feet, to prevent sinking in powder snow.

For me, winter means the sun is lower all the time, making for nicer lighting without needing to wake up early or miss dinner. It also means most of my neighborhood goes to Florida and half the town becomes my backyard to roam.

I got a heck of a deal on new Rossignol ski boots.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Can sheet film be developed in ski boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Can sheet film be developed in ski boots?
    Taco style, maybe. Got to take out the liners though.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Whenever my leather boots get wet inside, my toes get a nice tannin stain. Maybe a new tweak to pyro?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

During the winter astronomers get an extra hour of observing but photographers needing early morning access lose an hour.

Thomas

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Rob, I shot LF outdoors in upstate NY in all seasons from 1982-2010. No precautions necessary specific to LF... what works for smaller formats works for large. Vaughn's comments make sense- I used fingerless gloves. I suppose a wooden tripod would be easier to handle in the cold but I've never tried one. The biggest problem is convincing yourself to get outside in the cold!
    I agree with Mark on just getting yourself outside. I usually set my goals on 1 photo per day that I would hang on my walls. That usually gets me out before sunrise and home late. Ah, the little motivational tricks we play with ourselves!

Long ago I used 35mm cameras around the year in northern Greenland. Temperatures could reach -60 Fahrenheit. Nearly new Leica and Nikon equipment functioned flawlessly, although batteries could be a problem. With the humidity around 5 or 10%, film had to be advanced slowly to prevent static marks. Perhaps dark slides need that precaution, too. Mittens tethered to coat sleeves could be chucked, leaving hands clad in glove liners for fine camera adjustments. Other sound precautions have been mentioned in previous posts.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet. Has anyone experienced film movement during long exposures in the cold? I suspect I have, therefore I either leave my film holders overnight in the refrigerator or in the pickup that is parked outside.
    Thad Gerheim