Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Actual image sizes - what size images you really get with various sizes of film

Re: Actual image sizes - what size images you really get with various sizes of film

[QUOTE 2) But he also is quoted saying: "I could not find my Weston exposure meter! The situation was desperate: the low sun was trailing the edge of clouds" QUOTE]

Without being pedantic, the full quote according to p231 of Ansel Adams - An Autobiolgraphy [ISBN 0-8212-2241-4] is "....... I could not find my Weston exposure meter! Behind me the sun was about to disappear behind the clouds and I was desperate. I suddenly recalled that the luminance of the moon was 250 candles per square foot. I placed this value on Zone VII of the exposure scale, with the Wratten G (No. 15) deep yellow filter, the exposure was one second at f/32."
    The account of Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico continues for another page in the cited book.

regards
    Tony

Re: Actual image sizes - what size images you really get with various sizes of film

So, what happened to the sizes of negs??? Inquiring minds want to know...

Seemed like a useful discussion...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Inches and fractions is fine. If decimals is easier that will do.

Still wish Detroit would give us engines like a 350, 409, 289 and the like instead of 2.4, 3.8 and such.
    You do realize that the U.S. is the only country in America that isn't on the metric standard, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan O'Farrell View Post
    You do realize that the U.S. is the only country in America that isn't on the metric standard, don't you?
    Does not make my request any less valid.

The film sizes quoted are all in inches - why not the image size also? After all - 10x8 and 5x4 is not millimeters.
    I tend to procrastinate on stuff. One of these days I'll do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The film sizes quoted are all in inches - why not the image size also? After all - 10x8 and 5x4 is not millimeters.
    That's correct. And 35mm film is REALLY NOT 35mm film. But try to convince an avid metrophile about that. It makes their blood boil for some odd reason.

35mm film is NOT 35mm wide. It is 1 3/8" wide film -- as created by the Edison and Eastman labs, working together, in the late 1880's. WKL Dickson wrote about this in 1933 (JSMPE) -- he was the guy who actually created it. The original format for the film was 1" wide -- NOT 24mm.

But the metrophiles simply dismiss it as irrelevant, impertinent, immaterial, and irresponsible.