Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Actual image sizes - what size images you really get with various sizes of film

RR

Actual image sizes - what size images you really get with various sizes of film

I noticed some misunderstanding out there on the internet about negative sizes (for instance, sofa experts insisting that 8x10" cameras absolutely definitely produce actual usable images of 8 inches by 10 inches). So I measured my negs to see what the actual image sizes really are:

Large format 10"x8" (Fidelity film holder): 246mm x 195mm (55.52x the area of 35mm)

Large format 5"x4" (Fidelity film holder): 120mm x 96mm (13.33x the area of 35mm)

Medium format 6x8 (Fujifilm GX680III): 76mm x 55mm (4.84x the area of 35mm)

Medium format 6x6 (Rolleiflex 6008af): 56mm x 56mm (3.63x the area of 35mm)

Medium format 6x4.5 (Pentax 645nII): 56mm x 41mm (2.66x the area of 35mm)

35mm (Leica M3): 36mm x 24mm

So there you have it. All formats except 35mm produce an image that is slightly smaller than their notional size. For example, an 8x10 camera produces an image that is 93% of the area of its notional size. It may not be quite 8"x10", but think of it this way: one 8x10 negative is bigger than 55 negatives from a 35mm camera!

If you have any other sizes of cameras perhaps you could post your findings here.

Re: Actual image sizes - what size images you really get with various sizes of film

6x17 on Fuji G617: 55.5mm x 168mm

6x9 on Plaubel, Fuji, Brooks: 56mm x 84mm

Re: Actual image sizes - what size images you really get with various sizes of film

The nominal size of large format films it’s from the glass negatives. They were exactly the nominal size. when Kodak introduced the film in large format sizes, they needed an adapter to fit film on a glass holder. This reduced the size of the film to acomodate them in the adapter, thus reducing the external dimensions. The film holders have some spacers, reducing more the image.

I print the film rebate as part of my image area.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    6x17 on Fuji G617: 55.5mm x 168mm

6x9 on Plaubel, Fuji, Brooks: 55mm x 84mm
    Plaubel Veriwide is close to published dimensions, 55x90mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	different-veriwide-frame-sizes.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	170493

I measured these from cameras I own.

It is a joy to enlarge 6X9 in a Focomat IIa enlarger to use the whole negative.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 9-Oct-2017 at 09:11.

Linhof 612 PC II 121x55 mm

= 7,7 the area of 35mm

To complicate the matter even further, different FL's change the outside frame sizes on film, as long lenses have a less acute angle cone of light behind the lens that the frame mask leaves it's shadow with, but the UWA wider lenses (that sit closer to the film) have a more acute angle that goes a little past (under) the frame mask, leaving a slightly larger film image size...

You can see this more clearly with 35mm cameras, when the frame spacing on the film gets narrower when using UWA lenses due to a slightly larger image, and you probably noticed this when printing 35mm full frame/black borders with different camera FL's in enlarging...

Measuring all of your RF masks (and image size on your film) on all of your cameras will yield surprising different differences!!! And try measuring your GG to see how they compare with your film sizes...

Steve K

Now can you go back and go inches to inches rather than inches to metric? Some of us are metrically challenged.
    I tend to procrastinate on stuff. One of these days I'll do something about it.

Even if sheet film were the size it says it is -- which it isn't -- the final size of the image will vary depending on how much of the film is covered by the edges of the film holder -- which also varies.

As a result, even though I know that my picture angle will always be a little different from the manufacturer's specs, I don't need to measure it -- let alone lose sleep over it. However, it might be a concern to some photographers under some circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Now can you go back and go inches to inches rather than inches to metric? Some of us are metrically challenged.
    Would you like that in inches and fractions or a decimal, Sir?