Thread: Lens Separation & Image Quality

Lens Separation & Image Quality

I sent a camera in for repair, and the service tech mentioned that the taking lens had a small separation. Unfortunately, this was not something that I noticed when I bought the camera.

According to him: 'The separation is a very narrow strip along the edge. I just looked at this lens in the collimator and it looks very sharp. This separation will not affect the photos."

I purchased the camera at what appeared to be a decent market price of $670, particularly since the cosmetics were so good. However, the CLA and other repairs would run an extra $400 or so. I guess I'm having difficulty seeing how the separation won't affect image quality, unless I'm making a point of shooting at 5.6 or 8.0 or less. Ultimately, I don't want to throw good money after bad, as the saying goes.

Is my concern justified, or is it overblown?

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Lens Separation & Image Quality

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Is my concern justified, or is it overblown?
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Overblown.
    If you took 2 identical images, one with a healthy lens and one with this lens, you would not have a way to say, which image was taken with what lens.
    Sleep well.

Try not to let lens get too hot/cold quickly (like in/out of car)...

Should be fine to shoot, but if you paid a premium price, mention to the seller this, and see if you can get some money back...

Mostly will affect re-sale...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Try not to let lens get too hot/cold quickly (like in/out of car)...
    Steve K
    That`s the point. Huge differences in temperature, like when you come home from a trip in winter and put your equipment in front of a radiator, may lead to further separation. Otherwise I can tell you from my experience that as long as you don't have large evident spots on your lens, it won't have any effect on picture quality.
    Of course it will lower an eventual re-sale price on Ebay and the like, so if your unsure about what to do, try to get a refund from the seller, or at least a cut in price.

Thanks for the commentary! Unfortunately, the camera was purchased in May, so the opportunity to respond is long gone. My error was that I relied upon the description, and things were so busy with work and scheduling a trip to visit an elderly relative out of state that a really detailed inspection just didn't happen until I sent it to a technician who specializes in these cameras.

On usage, I'm normally not a big one for keeping my gear in temperature extremes. I have good bags and cases, and keep stuff in the trunk to help avoid temperature swings. I'm not a big one for toting gear through extreme cold, either, so hopefully this would not get any worse than it already is.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdC View Post
    Thanks for the commentary! Unfortunately, the camera was purchased in May, so the opportunity to respond is long gone. My error was that I relied upon the description, and things were so busy with work and scheduling a trip to visit an elderly relative out of state that a really detailed inspection just didn't happen until I sent it to a technician who specializes in these cameras.

On usage, I'm normally not a big one for keeping my gear in temperature extremes. I have good bags and cases, and keep stuff in the trunk to help avoid temperature swings. I'm not a big one for toting gear through extreme cold, either, so hopefully this would not get any worse than it already is.

Ed
    The trunk is not a good place to avoid temp. extremes. It gets awfully hot in their in the summer and very cold in winter. Humidity can also be a problem in the trunk during hot spells. Don’t store your cameras someplace where you would be uncomfortable!