Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the lightest 4x5 field camera with a rotating back?

Re: What is the lightest 4x5 field camera with a rotating back?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    what do you have a problem with?
    I don't have a problem with it. It's just not for me. Like you said, "to each his/her own", but I can open and close my camera a LOT faster than in that video -- which has saved my sorry butt (and my gear and pictures) more times than I care to remember!

Yes the Cham does not open/close quickly. Personally I usually carry the camera on the tripod and don't stow it away very often. I have no idea how some of the other cameras mentioned fold up, I'll have to look for videos, out of curiosity.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Les

Hope you also looked at VDS rig....it's only around 1200 grams. The back has to be re-positioned as needed (not rotating).

The thing of "light" might be bit overrated as the lens adds more weight, and that also goes for tripod + head....urr, unless one just uses a beanbag for support.

Les

Yes the Cham does not open/close quickly. Personally I usually carry the camera on the tripod and don't stow it away very often.
    I guess you are an indoor photographer. I'm usually dealing with setting suns (setting up FAST) and incoming rain (closing down FAST). The last time I carried my camera any distance while on a tripod was to avoid a pair of big horn sheep charging at me -- above tree line!

Uh no I hike quite long distances, on the Appalachian Trail often lately. With the camera already on the tripod I can be shooting in seconds. I throw my jacket over it in rain.

In the Apple Chains, all you need to worry about are chipmunks. Out here, we have Pumas and Grizz.

There's some serious issues with black bears here, especially with regard to food on the trail. Of course they are a bit different than grizzlies...

Anyway, we are getting far afield here. The above mentioned VDS camera I had not heard of. 1200g brings it to the same ~2.6 pounds as the Ikeda and Nagaoka. I wonder how Intrepid got their camera to be .6 pounds lighter? Just the plywood material or whatever it is? It certainly isn't winning any awards for looks, but who cares if it's shaving off a lot of weight.

Les is right though that the whole package is important though of course. Now some here would be appalled at my tripod, which weighs less than the camera. It works fine though, in most situations I am in. Windy conditions with a long lens would not work though.

If you place a high priority on speed of setup, and can live with a removable back and modest extension, then something like the Ebony RSW45 might be a candidate. Mine weighs about 3.5 pounds with a RRS Arca-style quick release plate attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y97lDg2yKKY
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...he-Ebony-RSW45

Out of curiosity, I placed my Nagaoka on my postal scales and it registered 2 lbs 11 oz without lensboard or lens.

And if a rotating back on a field camera is absolutely necessary, I also weighed my MPP micro-technical. She is a slim 6 lbs and 3.4 oz with lensboard and no lens!

The Toho sits at just a bit over 3 pounds.
    That's with that awful tripod adapter. First thing I did was replace that solid hunk of metal with an arca swiss quick release plate. Then I added two sets of bubble levels (for level and plumb either horizontal or vertical) to the rear standard, and a Fresnel focusing screen. When I got done, I weighed the camera. I was surprised it came in under three lbs. I believe it was right at 2.75 lbs.

That's what I took up the mountains in my pack. I can't imagine anyone actually using that massive threaded Toho tripod adapter in real life. I never weighed it but it was probably half a pound all by itself. Made no sense.

Bruce Watson