Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is the lightest 4x5 field camera with a rotating back?

Re: What is the lightest 4x5 field camera with a rotating back?

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    So... back to the question, the Intrepid is 900 gm and has a rotating, not flipping back. After all the arguing with the OP about whether he wants what he wants, and why he's wrong, has anyone come up with a better answer than was given in the 4th post?
    + 10

I've had several cameras with revolving backs because not having one is a deal breaker for me. Maybe these aren't the lightest field cameras with a revolving back, but among the lightest metal folders with a revolving back mechanisms are the Meridian 45B and the Graflex Super. The Meridian weighs 80 oz without a RF and the Super, if I recall, is about the same and slightly more compact. I've heard it's possible to reduce the weight of a Super to about 3-1/2 lbs by removing the RF, and possibly a Dremel to skeletonize the frame some, but that sort of seems a pity. Of the two, I greatly preferred the Meridian for the back moves (ala extension posts), and a body physically large enough to take moderately large lenses like a Nikon 90mm f/8–even folding up with lens mounted and without having to reverse the board. Best weight savings from a metal folding "Presser" with a RF occurs when using it without always having to schlepp a tripod. Here a bit of extra mass can help to steady longer exposures.

I like the Shen Hao Ptb45. If you are looking to save weight. RB's add weight and I agree with the other posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    ... but among the lightest metal folders with a revolving back mechanisms are [is] the Meridian 45B ...
    Agree -- The Meridian 45B that I have weighs 4.75 lbs (76 ounces) without a lens and its board, and no RF. But as others say, a few more ounces or even a pound in a camera body should not matter that much, even when hiking long distances, when you add in all the other stuff. Knowing where water is, for example, and not carrying more then you need can make a bigger difference.