Thread: Auzoux & Bauz lens info needed

Auzoux & Bauz lens info needed

Hi all,

I got the opportunity to buy this exact lens (Auzoux & Bauz).

Focal length is about 45cm (17") (from what i measured) but what I would like to know is if someone out there knows what coverage this wide angle lens has? I did not find very much besides this auction link in the web.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Auzoux & Bauz lens info needed

Auzoux et Bauz is a very little known maker and I don't have much confidence in either the data on the auction site or the quote from Eder! Auzoux was a partner with Francais in a period around 1863-67, when Francais left to form his own establishment. From the Auzoux and Francais I have seen (Confirmed by Pont et Princelle), I can only deduce that they only made Petzvals. Gasc et Charconnet seem to be the second French company that took out a license (april 1864) from Harrison & Schnitzer to make the Globe design. They made this "Globe" until 1885. Hermagis got their licence in October 1860 and continued until 1870. Darlot made one too, but I don't have the dates.

The only reference I have to Bauz, writes about the late 19th century and I can't find anything about Auzoux after his association with Francais - apart from this lens. I would guess that your lens is from the 1880's, when the other makers who had lost interest in the "Globe" and were developing WA aplanats and RR's.

As far as coverage goes, I can quote from the G&C catalogue, which has both a 36cm and a 51cm focal length.

35cm covers 40x50cm and 51cm covers 75x95cm.

Note that G&C did development work of the original Globe design (It was by no means a perfect lens!) producing two new WA series, but still using the Globe (lentiforme de l'oeil) description. Auzoux & Bauz could have done the same exercise.

There are a number of companies who lasted for very short periods of time and have not been registered in optical history books! I have a H.Roussel et L.Berteau lens from before Roussel started big on his own. No one has record this partnership.

There is often confusion about the copperplate engraving of "u" and "n". Auzoux is often called Anzoux. Perhaps Bauz is, in fact, Banz? Corrado's book seems to think it is (page 320) Banz.

Thanks Steven for this great information!
    So your guess would be that Auzoux & Banz made a G&C-like globe lens? Well this could be a very nice lens indeed!
    I really need to get hands on that lens to try this lens on my ULF camera, this lens seems worth to shoot some WA images!

The basis for my information is the description at the auction site item you linked to. I understood that this is exactly the same lens that you now have. Unfortunately, there is no longer an image of the lens itself! IF this is not your lens, but just "similar" that it is hard to tell whether it is a "Globe" lens or an WA Aplanat which looks a lot like a Globe. I have noticed that sellers are quite careful about calling the French versions of the Globe actually a Globe lens. They often don't have any identifying engravings.

I have an example from Ebay from last month:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401358115915...&ul_noapp=true

This is a very small Globe from Gasc et Charconnet - probably part of a stereo duo. The early serial number shows that it must be the Globe. It wasn't identified by the seller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1073.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	170536

This is a picture of the lens and it matches with the serial number on the images (that are now lost in the web) from the auction site. It doesn't have any specific naming on it unfortunately...

Looks promising, but a side photo which shows the convexity of the front or rear lens would help more!

Yes the front and back lenses were very convex. One should be very careful when you lay the lens on a desk....

Here are some recovered (small) images from the auction, here you can see the matching serial numbers:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1971206_1_m.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	170564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1971206_2_m.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	170565

This is either the original Globe design, or some slight modification of it to get nearer the performance of the WA Aplanat designs of the late 1860's onwards.

Gasc et Charconnet describe in their catalogue listing of their modified GLobe that the single elements can be used alone and point out that the front and rear lenses now have slightly different focal lengths. So this may be a way to see how close your Globe is to the original symmetrical Harrison/Schnitzer design by checking the focal lengths of your two cells.