Thread: Cokin "A" system on fujinon 150mm

Cokin "A" system on fujinon 150mm

Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie in the LF world.
    Just acquired a TOYO 45A, and wonder if I can use my Cokin "A" system on the 150mm lens.

Sorry if the question is weird,

THX
    Andres

Re: Cokin "A" system on fujinon 150mm

All of Fujinon's 150mm lenses have filter threads of 55mm or smaller -- except for the CM-W model which is 67mm. So -- with the possible exception of the CM-W -- you should not have a problem. I don't recall what the max thread is for the A series. It might go up to 67mm. The 150mm is more or less equivalent to a 40mm lens in 35mm format. You can easily check for vignetting on the corners of the groundglass.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    All of Fujinon's 150mm lenses have filter threads of 55mm or smaller -- except for the CM-W model which is 67mm. So -- with the possible exception of the CM-W -- you should not have a problem. I don't recall what the max thread is for the A series. It might go up to 67mm. The 150mm is more or less equivalent to a 40mm lens in 35mm format. You can easily check for vignetting on the corners of the groundglass.
    Thanks for the answer.

I can see that as far as mounting the filter on the lens it should work. Now, I was just wondering about vignetting or other unwanted effects. Would it be better to use system "P" which is larger ?
    Thanks again

I don't use the A system. I use the P system because I use very wide lenses. I would assume that the A system could easily handle lenses as wide as a 35mm wide-angle in 35mm -- like a 135mm in 4x5. PERHAPS it could go wider, but I doubt it. I've got a bunch of Cokin material. The A system adapts up to 62mm, but I see NOTHING about how WIDE a lens it will work with. My GUESS is NO problem with a 150mm lens.

The P system has a SHORT filter holder -- I have one. It doesn't hold three filters, like the standard holder, but it is less likely to cause vignetting. Perhpas there is a similar holder for the A system -- or you could shorten it yourself. Perhaps others on this board could report on their use of the A system with a 150mm lens.

So if you have access to the A system, you can try it out. If not, wait for more feedback -- or go with a P system if you think you might end up with a wider 4x5 lens at some point. Cokin makes even larger systems -- X and XL, I think -- but the larger the size, the larger the price.

P.S. There are TONS of "Cokin" adapters and filters (and sets) on EBAY for next to nothing -- with GREAT filter cases!!!

Thanks again for the additional info. Actualy, I also have a "P" holder and a few filters, so I'm gonna go with that for a while.