Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New article by Paul Owen: Black Jacket focus cloth

New article by Paul Owen: Black Jacket focus cloth

Been following this thread with interest. I appreciate the frank discussion and always seem to learn something.

It is clear that the gap beneath the rear standard of most field cameras, and around the rail on monorail cameras is a common source of irritation in an otherwise, nice, dark environment. This is true even for me (I use a Toyo metal field camera) and in between my own photographic efforts, I've been noodling over various strategies to solve the issue. In the mean time, I devised a work-around that isn't too painful.

It is natural to place the neck of the BLACKJACKET(TM) around the entire rear standard, but this includes the above mentioned gaps. If one is not working in a really windy situation where keeping the device attached to the camera is of utmost importance, the gap can be eliminated by placing the neck on the camera obliquely (an illustration of this method is used on the website for the 8x10). The top edge just barely hangs over the leading edge of the top of the rear standard and the bottom of the neck is stretched across just beneath the film holder, which excludes the gap. In this configuration, the adjustable elastic still does a good job of grasping the camera.

But, one must exercise care in this situation not to have fabric from the neck sneak in between the film holder if the device is left in place when inserting film holders and making an exposure, otherwise it works well.

That doesn't mean I have given up on finding a solution that can be built into the device, it is just that I've not settled on one that I am satisfied with. The products have evolved quite a bit in a short time based on feedback and while the evolutionary slope is not as steep as it once was, I don't expect that process to stop anytime soon.
    So, thanks to all the fans, and to those folks who still don't think it solves all the problems, necessity is the mother of invention.

And yes, the other sizes are almost here, I just need a few more hours in the day and a couple clones.

And I just looked at the clock. It is a least 1 a.m. in Greenville when Sandy posted his note, so somehow I don't feel as tired as I did a moment ago.

I have found a lightweight Gortex fabric that is white on one side and black on the other. I ordered a piece 90" x 58" as the bolts of material are 58" wide. I have also ordered the ribbing and velcro enclosures along with the thread that is used for sewing Gortex. I also ordered black china silk a very dense opaque material for the inner liner. Cost of the materials was about 80.00. I'll post some pics as soon as the little women works her magic with the sewing machine. Time to run down to the local tackle shop for some flat lead sinkers to use as corner weights. Who knows this may just lead to a new product line...lol...I know from the Gortex garments that I wear it is very tough, breathable, and waterproof. not to mention lightweight. Hey it works on the old Rocky Boots, why not for the dark cloth.

I would also like to add I'm mulling over a simple light trap design to block the light entering from between the bed and the camera back. I think this could be as simple as a piece of fabric of the same makeup of the dark cloth that would attach with velcro to both sides of the inner dark cloth. By making the velcro strips longer inside of the dark cloth you could adjust to what ever height you need to accommodate what ever size back your working with or what ever format be it vertical or horizontal. But then again this is in the "lets-kick -it-around" stage

I'm thinking this light trap strip would be around 4" wide to allow for good coverage of this gap

Robert,

The concept of the light trap is exactly what I have been discussing with my fabricator. I try to avoid the use of Velcro on my products, especially for aspects that require constant fiddling, as it snags on my wool gloves and everything else, and eventually becomes so gummed up it is useless for anything except as a curiosity. There is some Velcro on the 8x10 to 4x5 adapator, but it has a flap that folds over on itself so snagging is not a problem when it is not in use. Paul's solution of stuffing the excess fabric in the gap works in a pinch, but is not the elegant solution that I envision. But, alas, I am leaning in the direction of Velcro since the varying sizes of camera cabinets all but demands something that is adjustable. There is a newer style Velcro that is supposedly less snag prone. Perhaps that will do the trick.

I believe one user made something very simple that attached to his camera. A couple velcro strips, a piece of fabric that hung on the strips to cover the gap and he was good to go. And maybe in the end, that is the simplest solution. I've just been determined to build it into the actual product so people don't have to glue Velcro all over their beautiful cameras.

BTW, I have heard that those lead weights can be lethal in windy situations. You be careful out there.

Kieth, I also thought about applying a removable piece to the camera and I for one would much rather have it built into the dark cloth. I feel nothing would look worse on a new, walnut Canham or an Ebony than a couple of pieces of ugly velcro. If the strip would go to the same position every time it was used you could easily sew it to one side and use a snap fastener for the other side. What I was trying to do was make it somewhat adjustable so it could be used with more than one format. For instance for the guy who has the 12x20 conversion for his 11x14. He could easily use it for both formats. In those windy conditions I'm much more worried about my bellows moving than I am my dark cloth and if it gets to windy I'll just tuck the dark cloth down the back of my pants...lol..... hey it works. Now you have me thinking magnetic. They do make thin pliable magnetic strips that could be sewn into the fabric. Two magnets on the ends of the light trap and you have it. It would be fast to set up and take down also. Just something else to think about. I spent 25 years solving bridge construction problems in the field so I get a kick out of this sort of thing. Keep up the good work, everyone loves your jacket.

Kieth, My apologies for the misspelling of your name

damit I give up! . It's that i before e except after c thing, Keith

Keith, Check out Zip- Grip Flexible magnet strips. This idea is looking better all the time. To be honest the idea came as I was going to the fridge for a beer. A few of the fridge magnets are made from something similar but I think not as pliable as the Zip- Grip magnet material. Granted it won't hold as tight as velcro but how tight of a hold does it have to be to hold a strip of fabric. There won't be much tension on it. I'm just kicking around a few ideas.

Yes, we thought of magnetic as well. But magnets aren't attracted to wood, or aluminum for that matter. And some cameras, the controls for shift and telephoto extension are located in that gap, so it definitely needs to be something that isn't a PITA to push out of the way when you need access. You keep kicking those ideas around. My friends know I was complaining about my old darkcloth for at least two years before I had the eureka moment to incorporate sleeves. Interestingly, I was just trying to keep my medium format camera dry while photographing a waterfall when it came to me.

-- Kieth ;-)