Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New article by Paul Owen: Black Jacket focus cloth

New article by Paul Owen: Black Jacket focus cloth

For many years I used a 'darkcloth' that was a full length mink coat but due to political correction I gave it up. It was very handy for those Sierra sunrise shots too.

CP Goerz

This sounds wonderful - but can I obtain a picture of one and possibly purchase one?

http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/WELCOME_BJ_FOCUSINGCLOTH.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

My BlackJacket arrived last week. I got the 8x10 Breathable version. Like Paul says in the article, can't say enough good about it. Its one of those things that you wonder how you ever did without it.

Ok , I fail to see how high tech a dark cloth has to be. Answer me this ( pardon my literary prowess). But what is stopping me from going somewhere like Joann Fabrics and buying a piece of black silk and another piece of tight weaved white cloth and having someone sew them together in a double seam with a couple of flat quarter size flat- sinkers out of the tackle box sewn into two corners and in the opposite corners a couple of strips of velcro? This way I can make it 6x6ft. or 7x7( what have you)at a cost of peanuts in comparison to an Ebony cloth. I mean anyone that can turn on a sewning machine can sew 4 straight lines can't they? And with any knowledge about sewning you could use a waterproof material for the outer half. Am I missing something here? Is the Ebony Dark cloth with a simple flag holder attached the magic bullet?.......If it is please enlighten me because I fail to see it.

And while you're at it ....teach me how to spell.....(sewning?)

Hi Robert. The reason I mention the Ebony cloth is that I also use one - although, as I said, I had to modify it. There is absolutely nothing to stop you making your own - but some of us prefer "off the shelf" - you should see the state of my sewing! In my opinion the BLACKJACKET is almost the magic bullet - not the Ebony.

Robert - that's exactly what I did. thin black inner, lightweight rubberised outer, four seams on a sewing machine. Cost a few pounds. Doubles as a waterproof throw-over for the camera if (when - UK!) the weather gets bad. I'm thinking of cutting a couple of holes into one of the thicker seams and threading a drawstring through it - mkII coming up!

Regards,
    Neil.

Very useful and interesting article: thank you Paul & Quan.

Quan, just a little suggestion (... my excuses if I´m unaware of or missing something...): I enjoy very much articles from your web page; I find them of the best class, but some of them have a hard black over white "first look" or force to the readers to search for an image. What about to add a single image on top if not more? As you knows this would give to the reader a snapshot to get him/her directly to the subject. (Richard, I also missed the image!). Thanks.

$75 is too expensive - $45 is reasonable.