Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New article by Paul Owen: Black Jacket focus cloth

New article by Paul Owen: Black Jacket focus cloth

What if, A piece of this flat, pliable, magnetic strip - say an inch wide was sewn along the leading edge of your dark cloth . Now it would require two pieces hanging vertically along the edge that hangs down near your camera bed and straddling your ribbed area. In other words put a piece of ribbing in the middle and on each side a little further out two strips of magnetic material. Now since field cameras are built out of wood and non-ferrous metal there would be no worry of the cloth adhereing to spots that you didn't want it to. Then you would simply put two thin sheet metal strips on the ends of the light trap material that would adhere to the magnet that is sewn into the dark cloth. This would be so much easier to explain if I could just draw you a picture....lol

Yeah... I think a picture would help, and a few beers. ;-)

Just received the black china silk for the liner on the new gortex dark cloth. This is a very elegant silk and very opaque. Still waiting on the gortex fabric for the outer shell. I will keep updating and once construction starts I'll try to keep a pictorial update for those interested. The wife ( who is also the seamstress) already has commented that I'm over designing this so I'll try and resort to the K.I.S.S. method and keep in mind practical application.

"black china silk for the liner on the new gortex dark cloth. This is a very elegant silk and very opaque."

Robert, you last name isn't Verdi is it? ;-)

Keith

You can just call me Giuseppe. :-)

On my 3rd DIY cloth. I use metal snap-studs instead of velcro for the reasons noted above (the 4th version will use plastic studs if I can get them...). Cloth is two layers of lightweight breathable, waterproof fabric with a soft finish. Can't remember what it's called, but I bought it from a company that sells fabric for outdoor wear. In practice, the "breathable" part of the description is a bit irrelevant given there are two layers back to back... The whole thing is narrower at the camera end and uses adjustable elasticated cord to fix to the back. The snaps hold the bottom closed where wanted with a 3" overlap to help keep the dark in.

New news on this old post. As I had mentioned here, I was working on solutions to deal with eliminating the niggling light leak that occurs due to the gap below the rear standard of most cameras. The idea arrived some time ago, but materials, testing and getting the production end up to speed has only recently been completed.

The concept actually is multi-functional: a storage sack that doubles as a curtain that can be attached to the neck of all new 32", 40" and 46" BLACKJACKET(TM)s. Click here to see the description and demo on our website.

I had all inventory retrofitted and began shipping just before the holidays and expect to have an 8x10 version in the near future.

I am surprised that so many respond to such matters? A focusing cloth came with the first LF, a bender kit which I still use but I do admit, I found a set of (clothes pin style) wood clamps from the hardware section were better than than the clamps (baggie) from the grocery store. Of course, in a pinch I have been known to use the dark bag I carry (for emergency sake) to work quite well.

Doug Dolde

Re: New article by Paul Owen: Black Jacket focus cloth

I like my black sweater. The neck stretches nicely over the 4x5 back. A bonus is I can wear it when it gets cold.

Re: New article by Paul Owen: Black Jacket focus cloth

I'm all for fashionable photo gear Doug, (see the last frame of the demos on my website), but what if it is cold and you want to photograph? Or hot for that matter? Is the sweater comfy when the lizards run for cover? ;-)