Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for another standard view

Request for another standard view

I find it increasingly annoying that for sale / wanted posts appear in the unified view and daily posts view.
    Sure I can set up a favourite to stop that but it means going to favourites to select it.

Would it be possible to have a link on your standard menu bar that unifies just the "LF Forums" and call it something like Core Forums?

e.g. do=getdaily&days=30&exclude=28,4,5,27,17,22,18,16

and nice to have would be to move Annoucements into "Community" at the same time

Thanks

p.s. just getting picky now...
    Last edited by robc; 6-Jun-2006 at 13:25.

Re: Request for another standard view

You could add it to your browser's menu bar. Unless there's enough demand, I'd be reluctant to add more stuff to the menu. Maybe in Quick Links, but that's not going to be any easier for you to use than setting a link up in your browser.

Now's your chance. Get that demand online...

I would like to request that the interface be set up so that individual forums be selected for visibility by the user, and stored as part of their profile.

Frankly, I do not have an issue with the FS/WTB posts at the moment as there aren't too many of them, but I strongly feel that off topic posts (the Lounge) have no place on this forum, and I especially do not want to see them in any form. The Lounge in particular was the primary reason I was unhappy with the migration to this new interface, because I knew it would be a part of the new interface.

So, if the Lounge is to remain on this site, can we at least make it possible to remove it from view for those of us who think this site should actually be for discussions of LF photography and related topics?

---Michael
    Last edited by Michael Mutmansky; 13-Jun-2006 at 08:21.

I'm new to the forum and don't feel like I should have an opinion yet. But, the best forums allow the personality of the individual to come through loud and clear. Respectful dissention (tolerance) makes for a community, tribal warfare (think DPReview) is a killer of community.

I think I can offer that this is one of the better, more personable communities I frequent. Things for sale and the "lounge" are perfectable acceptable for a community to share in my opinion.

Bob

I'll ask the vBulletin developers if that's a function they might consider adding, but it's not available currently other than through a search filter as described elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    I would like to request that the interface be set up so that individual forums be selected for visibility by the user, and stored as part of their profile.

Tom,

Is this the same software that APUG uses? I thought it was, but maybe not. If so, they have that functionality and it works very well over there. If not, I suppose I'll deal with it. Regardless, I am not especially happy that we are now permitting OT discussions to run rampant as appears to be happening in the Lounge.

I don't belive in sterilizing anyone's personality, but there are some people who just cannot seem to remain on topic and feel the need to drag down a forum with their own political or other OT views. The fact that this forum has been a refuge from most OT personalities (for the most part, and with specific exceptions) is what makes it friendly and worthwhile participating in (for the most part and with specific exceptions as well).

Personalities that bounce from forum to forum getting kicked off along the way should not find a 'home' here, but to the detriment of this forum as a whole. The Lounge will permit that to a certain extent, unfortunately, until they cross the line so strongly that they be banned. By that time, they may have left a path of destruction like a tornado. I'd prefer to not see that happen.

---Michael

Michael - Sean is using an older version of vBulletin, but had done extensive custom modifications over the last several years. Unfortunately, all of those modifications now have to be redone (several weeks of almost full-time work, apparently) in order for APUG to upgrade to the current version. That's what we're trying to avoid by staying with standard vBulletin features. Please remember, too, that this site is non-commercial, and operated with volunteer time.

I could do without the Lounge even though I've been posting there. In fact, I'd be happy for it to be gone as I agree that it drags the whole forum down.

Somehow I can't leave some political threads unanswered. I suppose that I could also choose to ignore them but then I'm on a forum that contains what I consider to be statements that embarass me by association. I know that there are folks here who find my politics just as bizarre.

I guess its kinda like being seen at a political rally - its easy to think that because someone is present they must support those guys. My response is like showing up with a sign that says "I'm not one of them" So, I'm a protester in attendance and surprised because I didn't even know I was going to a political rally.

It would easier to get along if we pretend we're at dinner at someone's home. There we could talk about photography, art, how nice the wine and food is and have a nice evening or we could start shouting at each other about politics and end up going home in a huff. I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable about what's happening on the Lounge right now. Nice folks disagreeing without too much strife so far but I can see the ante rising and I'm pretty sure we're not far from name calling and being permanently pissed off at a fellow forum member who said something that rubbed one or more of us the wrong way.

We'll probably all get along better if we just leave politics out of the Forum entirely.
    So, I say "delete the Lounge!"
    Let's just talk about Large Format photography here.

Henry,

I think we are in complete agreement on this issue. I don't know your politics, since I avoid those posts, and I'd just as soon keep it that way, as it seems to me to only serve to divide people.

Seriously, I don't want my posts in this forum to be in any way affiliated with politics of any kind, whether I disagree with them or not. I also don't want my posts affiliated with posts on religion, sports, social issues, and any other non-photographic subject that tends to be divisive. Permitting the Lounge to range over any topic essentially opens this forum and all it's members up to 'guilt by association' when a Google search is made. That may be more than I am willing to accept.

Since I post using my true identity, I feel I have an obligation to post my input in a place where I do not have to apologize for the behavior of others on the same forum as it cheapens my own contributions. It's part of why I don't post too much on APUG much anymore, and also why I have scaled back on posts here as well.

---Michael