Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revoked key Adobe Photoshop CS6 / GIMP nightly build

45-57-617

Re: Revoked key Adobe Photoshop CS6 / GIMP nightly build

I thank you guys for your encouraging words. I am hurting about this right now. It isn't just the CS6 but also the other software that adds special effects or filtration etc.

It is best to avoid them to be honest. I'll have no end of trouble. I also am a photo-realist. This means I only ever would gently tweak an image anyway. Small changes like that can be handled by other softwares easily.

I may be wrong about the risks of their new ways of licensing but I'm not wrong about the company's ethics. There are way too many others experiencing exactly the same sorts of issues.

The only real barrier for me is the learning of GIMP. I already use Vuescan on Linux and there are calibration software packages for monitor calibration with Eye-One or whatever it is that I used to use for monitor calibration. (Monitors are pretty good straight out of the box these days though)

I'm not going to keep sookin'. I'll go and try to upgrade my daughters new Linux Mint 18.2 to run the nightly-build of GIMP. I think every computer in the house is running Linux - all 8 or so.

I will be very unhappy if Adobe messes with my particular version of PS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photoshop-white-rabbit.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	170353

I use FreeBSD, which is somewhat similar to Linux. There is an app called Gimpshop which is Gimp configured with a user interface similar to Photoshop, for users familiar with Photoshop.

Don't know if its available for your system, but might be worth looking into.

45-57-617

Hi desertrat,

I'm not familiar with Gimpshop I have to admit. What I do know is that Gimp is becoming very, very capable. I do also admit to being looking forward to less dependence on bad proprietary companies - Adobe being one that exhibits bad faith along with VMWare, Norton, Symantec, Microsoft and others.

There are a number of alternative suppliers in all software disciplines and they can have some good morals. We do not need to cop it like we have done because there are no alternatives. Alternatives don't necessarily need to be free nor open source but I guess you can be more secure in your decisions when the code is exposed. Open source means never being locked out. Linux means never needing to keep going on the hardware upgrade cycle either. I can use my machine till it drops.

Cheers,

Steve