I am restoring a wood 1800s camera. It's made of mahogany with brass fittings. Someone at one time painted the front standard with flat black paint, which I have now removed but the finish came off with the paint. I'd like to match any new finish to the old as closely as possible. The old finish is highly polished.Does anyone have any tips? The brass fittings are also liberally sprinkled with paint. What's an efficient way of getting these clean?

Another issue is the camera has a Thornton Pickard style roller blind shutter which fits into the front of the lens. It has the pneumatic bulb apparatus attached which is pretty cool. It doesn't work properly because there is a crack in the small end on the shutter. The shutter does work with the lever so it doesn't really matter but if possible I'd like to fix it. Also, someone at some time glued a plastic tube on to the front of the shutter. It also has a pretty firmly cemented rubber ring around it. I want to remove the tube, which is ugly and on the wrong side of the shutter anyway, and replace with a new fitting so the lens can hold the shutter. How do you remove an unknown glue from plastic on wood? Or should I just carefully break up the tube?
I know these are a lot of questions. Would appreciate any help.