Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Can someone please give few main coordinates about which are the bests B&W enlarger?

Re: Can someone please give few main coordinates about which are the bests B&W enlarg

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Elwood.
    Gotta love an enlarger named after the protagonist in Harvey
    https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo....Elwood_P_Dowd
    Yes, I'm drinking wine. Doctor's orders
    "Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." - Elwood P. Dowd
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Re: Can someone please give few main coordinates about which are the bests B&W enlarg

I should have added that VC filter manufacturers offer suggestions for changing the exposure as you change filters. But just like with ISO film speed, they should only be used as starting points. I did my own tests with my paper/developer, etc. Sometimes the recommended exposure changes were VERY close, other times WAY off. If you don't run your own test, you can waste a lot of time and paper -- and sweat.

I've never used a VC head so I can't comment on how accurate their automatic exposure system is when changing filtration density.

If you can find a used LPL on eBay at a reasonable price, I'd go for it. The other brands mentioned are all fine, too. Look for a model that isn't discontinued so you can get parts!

Check your local university — they may have darkroom equipment they're trying to get rid of. And Craigslist is rife with unwanted enlargers.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

It would be a good idea to visit someone who has a working enlarger in order to familiarise yourself with the parts. That would make it easier for you to tell if one you saw for sale was actually complete and ready to use. A friend recently saw one in an online sale, and asked me to check it out. I could tell him that, although it was advertised as 'complete with negative carrier', the carrier was actually for mounted transparencies, and useless for negatives.
    The other point to bear in mind is your own location. You don't find many Beseler, Omega or Saunders models in the U.K, or probably in Europe. Durst, DeVere and LPL are more common there,
    although LPL is probably in the minority. You can buy the 4x5 LPL new in England, although it is expensive.
    I use an LPL 4551 with colour head for B&W, and it works well. It has dial-in filters, and I think the optional VC head works the same way, but with filters designed specifically for VC papers. It is quite a simple enlarger with few parts. If you were interested in getting one, you could view the instruction manual online and you will see what parts should be included with a used example. You could do the same with any other model where a manual can be found online. It's important to know what should be there for a complete setup as there are lots of people selling used gear who either don't know, or don't care if it is complete.
    Good luck, and I hope you find something suitable.
    Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In summary "You're on your own!"

Glad that we group of informed photographers could be of help!

It is unclear where the OP is in the world, but s/he did mention that they would consider a new enlarger. New 4x5" enlargers are still made and are available in (at least) Europe, North-America and Japan. If there are no budget constraints then supporting current manufacturers would be a 'good thing'.

In general, do not bother with any motorised or automated second-hand enlarger of any brand. It will fail and will be expensive/impossible to fix. Go with the simplest possible options. Most likely a large chassis 'professional' machine with a colour-head would be most suitable, as they will happily print fixed-grade or VC black-and-white, as well as colour -- but the brand will depend upon which continent one is searching on.

As many people have mentioned, look carefully at lens selection. For a second-hand lens, it's performance may depend as much on it's history as on the brand (which also goes for enlargers I suppose). Further, such ancillaries as focus-magnifiers and enlarging easels should not be forgotten, and perhaps borrowing a laser-align tool would be helpful for initial setup after the enlarger has been knocked about during transport.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriele turchi View Post
    thanks luis ,
    i appreciate, i was inquiring about the ilford because the LPL 4500 VCC seems to be not to be much available used/refurbished and new is about 3500$ + accessories i guess ...

ps; do you know how you dial the various contrast/timing combinations? is there a remote or my hand by dialing some wheels?

thanks!
    g
    You dial wheels on the front of the head. Paper manufacturers have tables showing which settings to use for specific grades. Or you can buy a set of Ilford filters to accomplish the same results, and skip the tables.

seezee on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    "... for now i am am looking to learn printing B&W... "

IMHO, you don`t need a 3000$ enlarger nor an automated or complex system to do so. In fact, I think you should start with a cheap enlarger (better if it is for free), and learn what works for you. Any condenser enlarger with basic alignment capability and an under-the-lens or drawer type filtering system is enough.
    An enlarger is basically like a camera, so my advice is practically the same here, don`t try to buy the best camera as a starter. Just buy one, and start shooting/printing.
    After that, you`ll know your own preferences, where to spend your money, which route to follow. Take it slowly.
    +1 to that. I have a very nice enlarger, but only because I got lucky. Otherwise I would by the most basic one available.

seezee on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
    If you were interested in getting one, you could view the instruction manual online and you will see what parts should be included with a used example. You could do the same with any other model where a manual can be found online. It's important to know what should be there for a complete setup as there are lots of people selling used gear who either don't know, or don't care if it is complete.
    I can vouch for this. I bought my LPL for $100 USD, but I had to acquire a power supply, a replacement knob, a filter holder, and an appropriate lens separately. I was probably $400 or $500 in to get a working setup. Still much less than buying it all new.

This does not count enlarging easels and a grain magnifier. I already had a timer (given to me). I still want to get the focusing aid that allows you to change focus without having to reach up when the head is raised to the top, but am having a hard time justifying the cost.

seezee on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by seezee View Post
    You dial wheels on the front of the head. Paper manufacturers have tables showing which settings to use for specific grades. Or you can buy a set of Ilford filters to accomplish the same results, and skip the tables.
    I'm glad I didn't skip making a personalized grid/table. While most of Ilford's filter/exposure recommendations were very close, some surprised me -- and needed adjustment. To each his own.