Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Photographica Auction Site

New Photographica Auction Site

There is a completely new organisation called Flints Auctions which has started up in London and will be holding their first Photographica auction towards the end of October. I suppose the concept is based on the long established European houses, like Westlicht and Breker. I recognise one of the participants as being from the successful SAS auction house's Photographica section.

They are using Ebay in a very sensible way to sell the coming auction's catalogues at a price which can only be consider as reasonable.

A dedicated auction house covering Photographica in the UK is a welcome addition to both buyers and sellers opportunities.

I have no current contact with the three gents and no idea how their internet auction link-up will be arranged.

Re: New Photographica Auction Site

They've signed up to the saleroom.com

Matt Nunn, one of the three guys, is the man behind 'Apsley Antiques' who posted for info on here earlier this year

The collection of (the late) Eric Evans is a real coup for them, particularly as it would very likely have gone to SAS

Andrew

Starting off with a large collection is a good way to start.

I had mixed feelings about Aspley's listings and the ubiquitous perfect apple. If I hadn't listed some recent items here on FS section, I would have used ebay with a sad looking apple with attached cabbage white caterpillers - of which I have a lot this year.

I have looked through the wood and brass camera listings. The catalogue would make a fine supplement to those listed at earlyphotography website as there are many new and interesting makes. I found a Swift Challenge model which I had been searching for!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post

I had mixed feelings about Aspley's listings and the ubiquitous perfect apple. If I hadn't listed some recent items here on FS section, I would have used ebay with a sad looking apple with attached cabbage white caterpillers - of which I have a lot this year.
    The best auctions feature a series of photos with a cat showing up, sniffing the item for sale, looking unimpressed by this musty old piece of junk and wandering off. If I ever get around to flogging anything I'm pretty sure one of my cats will saunter along to look askance at the wares.

About the new auction house...oho...another auctioneer selling stuff I look at, don't need and can't afford

I have just received the printed catalogue. It is quite good. Reproduction of photos could have been sharper and the cameras are pretty dark around bellows areas and inside boxes - but still useful for the on-line bidder.

Very good value for money and a good source for reference when the collection is dispersed to various continents!

The auction was to-day and went well - with no technical hitches and a reasonable pace with a competant auctioneer.

I was expecting some reduction on bidding as there was a very large quantity of very similar 1/4, 1/2 and 1/1 plate cameras with a very finite number of interested! There were quite a few lots that didn't reach the reserve prices, especialy 1/2 and full plate cameras. But generally, the estimated selling range was realistic and reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The auction was to-day and went well - with no technical hitches and a reasonable pace with a competant auctioneer.

I was expecting some reduction on bidding as there was a very large quantity of very similar 1/4, 1/2 and 1/1 plate cameras with a very finite number of interested! There were quite a few lots that didn't reach the reserve prices, especialy 1/2 and full plate cameras. But generally, the estimated selling range was realistic and reached.
    Agreed ... bid on a few items ahead of time in view of the auction timing and my bedtime ... won at below my estimate, so happy either way ;-)

Rudi A.

Just a thought!

In my view, there quite a few unsold lots that were interesting but suffered from "lot saturation". Different Auction houses have different policies about post-auction purchases of unsold lots. I can image that Flints, as a new organisation, may be open to offers around the opening prices. Of course, they may be somewhat busy the next few days as many sales were to telephone and internet bidders.

I have been in touch with Flints auctions and I can confirm that they are open to offers on unsold items! I am not sure that the opening prices are viewable on the Saleroom auction site.