Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know what is causing this...

Does anyone know what is causing this...

Hi, I am a new member - although I have been visiting for a few years now.
    I have run into a problem and wondered if anyone might be able to advise me what is going on.
    Please take a look at the attached image image :Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spots on negs.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	170217
    as you can see there lots of spots visible and they appear to have a kind of highlighted halo around them.
    Ive reviewed the negs carefully and by eye I cannot see the blemished - they are only apparent after scanning.
    If anyone has come across this before and wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge I'd be much obliged.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Does anyone know what is causing this...

Debris is in the system somewhere. Need to have a clean workflow from the time the box of film is opened until the negative is scanned. If you are new to large format, this is a noticeable difference vs other formats.

Check for dust in the film holder, camera, negative drying area and scanner/scanner area.
    Check for residue or particles in the wet processes such as developer, stop, fixer, wash, and equipment used to process the film.

It doesn't look like dry dust to me. It looks like maybe something in the chemistry or particulate that attached to the film when the emulsion was wet.

My guess it is the scanner if you can not see it on the negative. Good luck in tracking it down!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Ron Miller

Are you mixing developer from powders? If so maybe not fully dissolved.

I was thinking air bubbles in the film development step.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Debris is in the system somewhere. Need to have a clean workflow from the time the box of film is opened until the negative is scanned. If you are new to large format, this is a noticeable difference vs other formats.

Check for dust in the film holder, camera, negative drying area and scanner/scanner area.
    Check for residue or particles in the wet processes such as developer, stop, fixer, wash, and equipment used to process the film.

It doesn't look like dry dust to me. It looks like maybe something in the chemistry or particulate that attached to the film when the emulsion was wet.
    Hi - Thanks for the consideration. I tend to agree that it might be something in the chemistry & I'm thinking that I need to get rid of the collapsible /concertinaed style chemical bottles as they seem impossible to clean out thoroughly. Perhaps brown glass bottles are the way to go? I've been drying the negs without too much thought for arriving particulates - I guess that has to be addressed also. I'll also have a good inspection of the camera and slides for dust.

Thanks again for the thoughts. I'll post again after I dev the next batch.

Cheers

Mike

Looks like air bells to me. What method was used?
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Mike, many of us have changed to PET plastic bottles for chemical storage. They offer the best oxygen barrier, second only to glass. PET bottles are easy and inexpensive to acquire; PET is the primary plastic used for beverage bottles such as soda, fruit juice, sports drinks and water. Brown plastic jugs, including accordion style, need to be a thing of the past for photochemical storage, because of poor oxygen barrier performance. Brown jugs use PE as the material, which is far less effective vs PET at preventing oxygen ingress. Plus as you mentioned the accordions are hard to clean. With PET bottles, simply dispose (recycle) when dirty or damaged, or wash them easily. Lastly, PET bottles have an effective perimeter lip seal integral with the cap. This is far superior to the face-compression type of seal found on many PE jugs.

I bet these are air bells.

Those are definitely air bells. You need to presoak.