Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothes iron as tacking iron?

Clothes iron as tacking iron?

Been mounting prints with archival linen tape, but I’m just not satisfied with the lack of flatness. I’ve fired up my ancient dry mount press, but I don’t have a tacking iron. Would an old clothes iron do any harm? During this pandemic, I’ve been spending more time in the darkroom making prints (I call them “fine prints,” but that’s open for debate) that I plan to give away to unsuspecting friends and acquaintances. Of course, they’ll have to lie and say they like them and then feel obligated to display them. But I digress.

Re: Clothes iron as tacking iron?

When I was a student in the 1970s used a clothes iron as a tacking iron out of necessity. If I remember correctly, I had to use it very gingerly and lightly as it did not have a non-stick surface like a tacking iron did.

I used a clothes iron for many years as a tacking iron. Be careful in setting the temperature. Protect the front of the photo with a sheet of ordinary paper.

I don't see why a clothes iron wouldn't work, but my concern would be moving the print when tacking it to the matt board. With my tacking iron, I need to raise a corner only about 1/2".

A clothes iron will work, just don't drop it on the print or use the steam setting with water in it while tacking your prints.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Go to a hobby store that carries supplies for model airplanes. They have a little gadget that's pretty much the same thing as the tacking irons the camera stores sell for big bucks. I paid $14 for mine years ago-a tacking iron from a camera store was $80!

Lemme test mine. I got two with a press. You're welcome to one for the cost of shipping.

I'm in the states.

Drew Wiley

Good tacking irons are teflon coated with relatively rounded edges, and are small. So they have several advantages over ordinary clothing irons. But those will work if you're careful and keep the heat moderate. The identical tacking irons photographers use are sold to cabinet shops and woodworkers for attaching heat-activated edge-banding tape, generally at a lower price than you find at a photo or framing supplier. With that Amazon thing, you'd need to be careful not to allow the sharp front point create a dent in your work; likewise with an ordinary iron.

when i was a kid, i used a clothes iron to dry mount my prints. with some practice, i got pretty good at it.

sure a clothes iron would work just fine but as others have said, the hobby shop tack irons are the same as the expensive photo store irons with minor differences that arent really important to anyone with a bit of skill.