Thread: QC problems with TMAX 400II

QC problems with TMAX 400II

Anyone experiencing pin holes in the current supply of T-Max 400 type II? I hardly every get dust problems on 4x5 using my routine technique for cleaning, but in a batch of around 75 sheets I just processed, I'm seeing strange looking "clumps" of emulsion missing and none of it looks like typical dust particles.

Re: QC problems with TMAX 400II

I'm still using my Kodak Bankruptcy vintage hoard. Have you tried fresh fixer?

Before you start looking at QC issues, how are you processing? There are lots of variables to eliminate there first, quite apart from questions of whether static charge may have attracted dust at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Before you start looking at QC issues, how are you processing? There are lots of variables to eliminate there first, quite apart from questions of whether static charge may have attracted dust at some point.
    I've been using TMY II for many years and have always processed the same way in my Jobo Expert drums and never before have I seen this particular issue. Static is definitely not an issue as all the film was loaded in an environment with no less than 50% relative humidity and that describes the atmospherics in my darkroom as well. This batch of film is the first newly purchased lot I've gotten in several years which prompts my original question.

Robert, this might be the right time to send a couple processed sheets and the rest of the unprocessed film (in original box) to Kodak. Please let us know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    I've been using TMY II for many years and have always processed the same way in my Jobo Expert drums and never before have I seen this particular issue. Static is definitely not an issue as all the film was loaded in an environment with no less than 50% relative humidity and that describes the atmospherics in my darkroom as well. This batch of film is the first newly purchased lot I've gotten in several years which prompts my original question.
    Generally speaking, it's very hard/ almost impossible to get actual pinholes in modern emulsions. The only possible culprits I can see are dirt/ suspended particles from either the processing, the wash, or somewhere in the processing chain - or physical damage, which is much less likely. Either way, sending a couple of sheets to Kodak Alaris as Jac says would probably get you a definitive answer.

That said, it would be useful to know the following: what developer, stopbath & fix are you using; and is your wash water filtered/ have the filters been changed relatively recently?