Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Gitzo tripod to get?

Re: Which Gitzo tripod to get?

The reason I am getting a Gitzo is that I brought an Induro Carbon Fibre not many years ago and its
    showing its age, I wish I had spent a bit more and got a Gitzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangodancer View Post
    The reason I am getting a Gitzo is that I brought an Induro Carbon Fibre not many years ago and its
    showing its age, I wish I had spent a bit more and got a Gitzo.
    I've used many tripods over the years, and I'm happy with my two Gitzos, but there are a lot of other great tripods out there. Visiting the B&H website can give you a good presentation of what's available new, as well as what features you might want to have in a used tripod.

I’m happy with my Gitzo 3530LSV. I’ve had it for 11 years and it’s been flawless. The other day I was looking at replacing some of the leg interior components and was shocked at the cost of replacement parts. I put the legs back together after cleaning and hope it lasts another 11 years as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Gitzo 320 Studex would be okay for a 5x7 camera.

Not sure whether you have made your purchase yet. I have an old Gitzo 410 that I would sell for a fraction of its original price. Contact me for details offline if you’re interested.

I have owned a few Gitzos. I presently own a carbon fiber Gitzo. After I bought my CF, I discovered a very useful accessory for the landscape photographer, namely Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gitzo.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	170326 Gitzo extra long spikes. Unfortunately, they cost more than some tripods I have purchased but they are worth every penny. You might be able to find a grey market version on Ebay for less. You also might be able to find a version for other types of Gitzo tripods, just keep in mind, the longer the better. All the best, john

What is the advantage of the extra length?

I need to sharpen the ones on my Ries.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

I need to sharpen the ones on my Ries.

Yeah, you need them sharp. Great for self defense here in the city!

I have used tripods with short spikes and tripods with a rubber tip that screws to reveal a short spike. However these shorter spikes really just sat the tripod on the surface. These long spikes dig into the ground in a way that the tripod is then difficult to move. This is important the lighter the rig. I use the cf tripod and a light Arca Swiss p0 head and a light camera as well. Gitzo was also able to round off the tip and so spike is really something of a misnomer. All the best, john

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

I've had two Gitzos briefly (a new #3 and an old #5) as I got them for a bargain at a local s/h shop. - Flipped them quickly on the bay for profit, as my Manfrotto 055 was doing the same/better job as the 3 series and the 5 was too big for me. Had the basic Manfrotto/Bogen for the last 20 years or so under my 5x7. No complaints. Just my 2c.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."